Arty-Z7-20 board

deppenkaiser

Question

Hello,

i have since a few days a new arty-z-20 board and i like to learn from the rare examples for that board. I found one example which seems to be the base for Linux (Arty-Z7-20-linux_bd-master). This example was made with the Vivado 2016.4 Suite, but i use the current Vivado Suite (2017.3). In that example are two ip`s that could not be upgraded, because they no longer exists in the current Vivado Suite.

Where can i get some working examples with Vivado 2017.3 and higher Support for my new Arty-Z7-20 board?

My first Arty board was the Artix-7 "original" board. I had found all the examples that i needed to learn from the beginning to the full scale microblaze architecture. I made good experiences, but now i'am not happy with that arty-Z7-20 board!

How do i build the simplest Zynq architecture with UART and "bare metal" OS?

How do i build the very easiest Linux architecture and what ip's do i need for that? 

I have a lot more questions...

Thank you...

6 answers to this question

Hello @deppenkaiser,

Unfortunately, we don't have any updated tutorials beyond 2016.4 for the Arty Z7-20 at this point in time; we will update them, but likely not until a bit after 2017.4 is released.

I think some of your questions were addressed in your other threads, but you can find a tutorial on getting bare metal going for a Zynq chip here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/getting-started-with-ipi/start.

As for the very easiest Linux architecture, I imagine that would be the one where you have to do the least amount of work, but it looks like we have a Petalinux project for the Arty Z7-20 on our GitHub available here: https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Arty-Z7-20. It uses Petalinux 2017.2 though so it won't exactly match what you are working with, but it's a good place to start. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello @JColvin,

thank you for your answer.

I should tell you, that i'am now able to create a bare metal simple "Hello World" Project, but i must do more than expected (disable a lot of unused Hardware); but it's ok!

I read the "bare metal" tutorial you gave me and i'am a bit confused because of this:

"4.8

Click the Add IP button (add-ip.png) and search for 'MicroBlaze'. Select MicroBlaze from the list of results and press Enter on the keyboard to continue."

Why is there a microblaze?

Today i will read and try the Linux example, i hope it creates less confusion :-)

Everything is fine! Thank you...

Hello @JColvin,

for your info:

The filenames are too long in the base-linux Project which is needed for the petalinux Project. but if i reconfigure my developement Environment and use a Directory called "work" in the root Directory than it works (Windows 7 64-bit).

Best regards

deppenkaiser

Hello @JColvin,

here is my petalinux result:

I think, that i must use the base Project "This petalinux project targets the Vivado block diagram project found here: https://github.com/Digilent/Arty-Z7-20-base-linux.".

If i do so, then i get the following Problem: There are four ip-cores used that are not available in the current vivado Suite.

base-linux-problem.thumb.JPG.e78e17fbc2da28016cd53689e0fb9b99.JPG

i can not use the example because of the unknown ip-cores. Can you give me the smallest and easiest vivado-system that is able to host a Linux OS?

Thank you...

You fix that issue by downloading the project using git command line:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/Digilent/Arty-Z7-20-base-linux.git

Alternatively you can manually download the vivado-library repo from our github and copy it into the repo folder of that project. The reason this is necessary is that the vivado-library repo that holds those custom IP is included with the project as a git-submodule, and github's download ZIP button does not automatically pull in submodules. 

Edit: regarding releasing a different project that is more simple, that would also require the release of a new petalinux project. We can really only maintain so many projects, we chose to provide the more feature full one and then to let people try removing things they don't need.

Archived