How to restore FT2232 EEPROM back to factory settings?

mixsemi

Question

Hi Everyone,

Just accidentally flashed the EEPROM attached to the FT2232 device on the Arty. The board is dead without the USB connection. Been using for 2 months without issues until today.

In Vivado it is showing:

"ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-469] There is no current hw_target.". 

when trying to Auto Connect with the target in Hardware Manager.

Within FT_Prog (FTDI's flash tool), the registers (e.g. serial number, vendor ID, D2XX/VCP driver ...) can all be read and modified. How can it be restored back to Digilent factory setting? Is there an FT_Prog template that we can use?

Thanks,

Robin

Hello, JColvin!

I am facing the same issue. I'm using the Genesys2 board, and I have incorrectly programmed the EEPROM of the FT2232H, which now prevents access from Vivado. Could you help me?"

Dear,Engineer and friend:

my chip is FT2232HL which is used to program Xilinx XC7A15T with openOCD, I rewirte the EEPROM Product Description and Manufacture with MProg, and the FT2232H could not be identified by computer(win10-64) any moreimage.png.802bf5d8b886cdd478becaea16765721.png. please email me this program or some way to re-write the FT2232H.

yours

Jack 

Edited by JColvin
removed email address from public post

Hi @CJtech2023,

Which Digilent product do you have? Your screenshots indicates that you might have the Nexys 4 DDR board, but you also mentioned having an Artix-7 15T FPGA, which is not present on any of the Nexys boards. I want to make sure I do not give you faulty instructions to avoid any chance of accidentally damaging the device.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello, JColvin. I have a problem here. I used FT2232HL development board to burn the firmware of FT232, but now I cannot recognize the development board of FT2232HL normally. Now I want to ask how to erase the firmware burned before.

Hi @dsdsd,

From what I can recall, no Digilent device uses a FT2232HL. Digilent's programming solution is made exclusively for Digilent boards and so will not be able to restore a different development board from a different manufacturer.

In terms of just generically erasing material, FTDI's FT_PROG application may be able to help you, though it is also likely a common reason for the many users that ended up posting on this thread to begin with.

Thanks,
JColvin

@JColvin can you provide me with the EEPROM configuration instructions for a Genesys 2 dev board?

Also, is it possible to make any configuration changes to the EEPROM without erasing the jtag functionality? I want to use the non-jtag channel on the FT2232H for data transfer in 245 FIFO mode with the FTDI virtual COM port driver. This is referred to in the Genesys 2 manual in section 10. PC - FPGA Data Transfer (DPTI/DSPI). I think I need to reconfigure the FT2232H EEPROM to do this. I tried to make the necessary configuration changes and it caused my board to stop being recognized by Vivado.

Thanks!

On 3/30/2024 at 4:47 PM, lhphuc_mrvl said:

After using FT_PROG to re-program the device, the Hardware Manager Vivado cannot find the target.

@JColvinCan you send me the instruction to restore the EEPROM configuration on Arty A7 board?

@JColvin Can you support me on this question?

Hello,

I have an Arty a7 35 board (rev. E) and seem to have some issues with the FTDI chip too. I have not erased the EEPROM, but somehow I get wrong data when I try to use the USB as uart input for my FPGA. I also have a different FPGA (ulx3s, which has the FT231XS chip) and there my design works as intended.
I cannot pin down the problem at the moment, but maybe reflashing the EEPROM might be one step closer to finding the problem and exclude that from the possible problems.

So is it possible to get the instructions, too? Thank you!