Hardware Devices are not detected when using Digilent HS3 on NetFPGA-SUME (Xilinx Virtex-7 690T)

Chanaka

Question

We have a 16 node NetFPGA system with Xilinx Programmers which detects the hardware devices without any issues.

image.png.b76823577fa322d7c465f65c47d8b394.png

We are trying to use Digilent HS3 programmers instead and they do not detect the hardware devices even with all the relevant drivers installed.

image.png.829202f974d6b2e6f630d43ffc7d8200.png

We have used many of the troubleshooting procedures in forums with similar issues with no solution. Furthermore, we have installed Digilent Adept 2 as well to doublecheck. It does show that the programmer is there, it still doesn't detect the hardware devices.

Device is properly identified:

$ dadutil enum
Found 1 device(s)

Device: JtagHs3
    Device Transport Type: 00020001 (Transport Type = USB, Protocol = 2)
    Product Name:          Digilent JTAG-HS3
    User Name:             JtagHs3
    Serial Number:         210299B4C076

All the libraries are present:

$ /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep ftd2xx
	libftd2xx.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/digilent/adept/libftd2xx.so
	libftd2xx.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/local/lib/libftd2xx.so
	libdftd2xx.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/digilent/adept/libdftd2xx.so.1
	libdftd2xx.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/digilent/adept/libdftd2xx.so

Still, it doesn't detect any hardware devices:

$ djtgcfg init -d JtagHs3

Any help in this regard is appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Hi @Chanaka,

I have reached out to the engineer much more familiar with the JTAG programmers to get their insight on this question; they are out of the office until next week so it will be some time until I have some more advice for you.

In the meantime, since I cannot tell for certain from your post, do you have the Xilinx programmers still connected to the NetFPGA boards?

I don't have a SUME to directly test this so I do not know if this is the same issue you are encountering, but I know that if I have a JTAG module and USB-UART JTAG port connected to the same Artix-7 FPGA, the Vivado Hardware Manager will not show or connect to the FPGA downstream of the JTAG module while the USB-UART is still connected, even if that connection is "closed" as per the Hardware Manager. I have to disconnect the USB-UART cable entirely before the Vivado Hardware Manager will see any downstream FPGA targets through the JTAG HS2 module. (The same was true with the JTAG HS3 and a Zedboard).

Thanks,
JColvin