Temperature sensing and use of "data logger"

jfdo

Question

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I have the Analog discovery (AD) kit (bought in 2015) . I think it is Analog Discovery (Legacy).

Although I bought this in 2015 I never get to use it until recently. I have some experience in programming micro-controllers and implementing embedded systems.

I think I miss some basics to setup the data logger in the "Wave Forms" and appreciate your input. Ultimate use is to connect the scope input terminals to K-type thermocouple to measure temperature.

Please correct  if I am wrong in this description.

1) Since the data logger is to acquire data for extended time and plot them with suitable axes, the "Wave Form" (WF) allows "Data logger" interface to acquire relevant data from the "Scope" interface.

2)  As for a simple test I did the following:

a) Connected the W1 (wave generator output) to 1+ (scope channel 1 input).
    b) Connected the black ground wire of AD to the 1- (scope channel 1 ground).
    c) Generated a simple 1kHz , 1V amplitude sine wave signal in the "Wave Generator" interface. 
    d) I can see the waveform in scope interface and there is no problem in using scope and wave generator. Please see the settings of the scope interface in the attached print screen ("scope1").

3) Since data logger acquire data from the scope interface, can't I see the sine waveform (as shown in the scope) in the data logger? or Am I missing something here?

4) In the Data logger, there are two items in the "item" list as shown in the attached  "DLogger1".  That is C1/C2: DC, True RMS and AC RMS. 

4)  What is the correct way to insert the input variable in the function/maths editor (please see the attached print screen "DLogger2")  in order to add a new plot  in the data logger?

SHOULD I USE C1 (for channel 1) or "1 +/-"  (WITH DOUBLE QUOTES)  to introduce the input variable?

5) If I want to plot absolute value of the data in channel 1, SHOULD I USE THE FUNCTION abs("1+/-") or abs (C1)?
    >  If I use abs(C1) then it is throwing an error in the data logger.
    >  However I can use the function abs(C1) in the scope interface to display the full-wave rectified version of  the sine wave. Please see the attached "scope2". 

6) My questions:

A) Is it possible to display the absolute value of the data in the channel 1 in the "data logger" interface (similar to the red plot in scope interface as in the attached print screen)? 

B )  What is/are the correct syntax to write a math function in data logger in order to include a new data plot in the logger? 

Thank you very much in advance for any input/reply.

Cheers

scope1.jpg

DLogger1.jpg

DLogger2.jpg

scope2.jpg

7 answers to this question

Hi @jfdo

For a thermocouple you just need to measure its output DC voltage. Eventually an amplification would be also useful since these output low voltages and the Analog Discovery scope resolution is 0.3mV
Connect the thermocouple to 1+ and 1- and in Logger add: a + C1DC * b, where a is the offset and the multiplicative factor for *C/V.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:15 PM, attila said:

Hi @jfdo

For a thermocouple you just need to measure its output DC voltage. Eventually an amplification would be also useful since these output low voltages and the Analog Discovery scope resolution is 0.3mV
Connect the thermocouple to 1+ and 1- and in Logger add: a + C1DC * b, where a is the offset and the multiplicative factor for *C/V.

Hi Again,

Could you please share or recommend (any link ) a voltage applier circuits to amplify the signal from a thermocouple?

Many thanks

Archived