Analog Discovery troubleshooting

attila

Question

During device opening internal chips are enabled and configured. This results in consumption increases, specially when the 100 MHz clock (PLL) is started. The needed current increases from 100mA to 500mA. In case the USB can't provide enough current the voltage drops below the minimal required for the device to operate and communication fails.

In case you get “Device configuration failed (PLL 1)" or "Communication with the device failed.” error message:

The device needs at least 2W/400mA from USB cable. To satisfy this:

- Try to use different USB cable and computer plug.

- Use the USB plug on the back of the PC, not the one on the front panel.

- Use short cable, do not use long cable or cable extender.

- Use powered USB-hub, avoid un-powered hub.

- Use USB-Y cable to load power from two plugs.

Device not detected by WaveForms:

Open Windows Device Manager then connect the device and wait up to one minute for a device to appear:

- USB Serial Converter, with warning

- Connect the device directly to the computer's USB plug without using external hub.

- Restart the computer.

- Reinstall WaveForms, including the Adept Runtime section.

- USB Serial Converter, without warning

- Restart the computer.

- Other application might have erased the USB controller EEPROM (FT_Prog, programming cable drivers...)

Use the "My device is not listed" button in WaveForms application Device Manager to reprogram the EEPROM.

- Unknown Device

Check the Hardware IDs under device Properties, Details tab

- USBVID_0403&PID_6014

The USB driver is not installed.

- Restart the computer.

- USBVID_0000&PID_0000

Device not identified or malfunction. See "Nothing shows up".

- Nothing shows up:

- Connect the device directly to the computer's USB plug without using external hub.

- Try to use different USB cable and computer plug.

The device or its plug might be damaged.

Edited by attila

On my AD3, I am getting 100Hz +/-30V pulses with both channels floating.

I am measuring the output of a CAN transceiver, and all devices are being powered over USB. I only measure 40mV of difference between USB-C cable ground of the AD3 and the development board ground.

This is the first time I am using the oscilloscope of the AD3, but before I connected it to the circuit I did turn it on and it was reading 0V as expected.

After connecting to CAN xcvr, it will no longer read 0V even when floating.

The logic analyzer still works correctly when connected to the microcontroller Tx/Rx pins, so it seems like the O-scope is the only instrument not working correctly.

Can you recommend any troubleshooting tips, or should I send in for an RMA?

Thank you!

image.png.a67a27a69ee9acd79433e0da18c0d23b.png

image.thumb.png.aee966d3bc53f00315691f6582d74384.png

image.thumb.png.2513d87fdbf7e9d5c128610a6db7bdeb.png

Hi @Ruckus1631,

Are the two devices both connected over the same USB source (i.e. computer with multiple USB ports) or on separate systems? If they are on the same source, it'll still be good to have the grounds connected because of that difference in potential that you measured. I'm also guessing that you are using the regular MTE cables to connect the devices and don't have a 0.1X BNC probe or something unexpected in your system?

Additionally, if you disconnect the AD3 and give it a chance to cool down (shouldn't be necessary, but in the interest of isolating potential problems), if you directly connect its analog input channels to its analog output channels (AWG) with it otherwise disconnected from your CAN transceiver, are you still getting those 30 V spikes?

Thanks,
JColvin

Yep both connected to the PC, 2 ports directly next to each other.  Also correct, just the MTE leads. 
The next day I did try connecting the differential reference lead to the input lead with nothing else connected and still getting the 30V spikes. 

Also, if I am remembering correctly, there used to be a clicking sound when starting the scope, like mechanical relays. I no longer hear that when starting the scope instrument.

I will try connecting the AWG to the scope input in the morning. 

Update:

I just tried on another PC, and it worked, so I switched back to the original PC, and still had the same issue.

I then switched to the USB 3.0 port, and it worked fine in that port. Switched back to the original port and the issue returned.

Not sure if it's the data rate, or a power issue, but for now everything is working on the USB 3.0 port.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Ruckus1631