Analog Discovery troubleshooting

attila

Question

During device opening internal chips are enabled and configured. This results in consumption increases, specially when the 100 MHz clock (PLL) is started. The needed current increases from 100mA to 500mA. In case the USB can't provide enough current the voltage drops below the minimal required for the device to operate and communication fails.

In case you get “Device configuration failed (PLL 1)" or "Communication with the device failed.” error message:

The device needs at least 2W/400mA from USB cable. To satisfy this:

- Try to use different USB cable and computer plug.

- Use the USB plug on the back of the PC, not the one on the front panel.

- Use short cable, do not use long cable or cable extender.

- Use powered USB-hub, avoid un-powered hub.

- Use USB-Y cable to load power from two plugs.

Device not detected by WaveForms:

Open Windows Device Manager then connect the device and wait up to one minute for a device to appear:

- USB Serial Converter, with warning

- Connect the device directly to the computer's USB plug without using external hub.

- Restart the computer.

- Reinstall WaveForms, including the Adept Runtime section.

- USB Serial Converter, without warning

- Restart the computer.

- Other application might have erased the USB controller EEPROM (FT_Prog, programming cable drivers...)

Use the "My device is not listed" button in WaveForms application Device Manager to reprogram the EEPROM.

- Unknown Device

Check the Hardware IDs under device Properties, Details tab

- USBVID_0403&PID_6014

The USB driver is not installed.

- Restart the computer.

- USBVID_0000&PID_0000

Device not identified or malfunction. See "Nothing shows up".

- Nothing shows up:

- Connect the device directly to the computer's USB plug without using external hub.

The device or its plug might be damaged.

Edited by attila

Hi @MiaPka

It looks like the PLL is not working but the analog circuitry is supplied since the ADC IC does not give error.

For warranty and replacement please contact support dot digilent at ni dot com 
They will need your name, when you purchased the device, whom you purchased it from (i.e. Digilent or a distributor), and the serial number on the underside of the device. If you purchased the board from a distributor, you will need to contact them about their warranty.

On 2/10/2021 at 10:40 PM, attila said:

Hi @MiaPka

It looks like the PLL is not working but the analog circuitry is supplied since the ADC IC does not give error.

For warranty and replacement please contact support at digilentinc dot com 
They will need your name, when you purchased the device, whom you purchased it from (i.e. Digilent or a distributor),and the serial number on the underside of the device.

OK, thank you very much for your help.

Hello! I'm having a strange issue on Arch Linux.  I have two Arch machines, one of which works just perfectly.  The other has Waveforms and Adept installed exactly the same way, and can see the device both in lsusb as 

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6014 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232H Single HS USB-UART/FIFO IC

and in the waveforms new window as

Discovery2 SN:210321B0E6FD

.  However, it fails to connect with 

DptiIO failed ERC:2 out:8 in:28
Communication failed or image device id is wrong.
ID: 0x0 Type: 0x0 Version: 0x0

Once again, the same AD2 works seemingly without issue on my other machine with the same distribution, and the same install of Waveforms/Adept. If I click that my device is not listed, I can see it and successfully reprogram it from the waveforms device fix menu, recognizing the serial number and model number, and this works, and the device still functions on my other machine afterwards. 

VID/PID: 403 / 6014
Manufacturer: Digilent
Description: Digilent USB Device
SN: 210321B0E6FD
Bus Powered 500mA

OEMID: 356A92C7
PDID: 40300360
Product: Analog Discovery 2
Name: Discovery2

done

However, connecting still simply refuses on this machine.  Any more information I can provide to help diagnose,  please let me know! It's not a massive issue, as I can simply use my other machine for the time being, but it is somewhat obnoxious and I'd like to figure it out. Thanks! I have tried running waveforms as root in case it was a permissions error, in which case it simply did not see the device at all, and reinstalling waveforms and adept after reboot.  Neither of these fixed the issue.  I have used this USB port on this machine for other things to test if it was nonfunctional, and it seems to work fine. Using waveforms/adept package from the Arch User Repository, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/digilent.waveforms/, version 3.14.3-1, and https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/digilent.adept.runtime/, version 2.21.2-1, on both machines.

Edited by sourdoughconquistador

On 10/13/2014 at 11:30 AM, attila said:

During device opening internal chips are enabled and configured. This results in consumption increases, specially when the 100 MHz clock (PLL) is started. The needed current increases from 100mA to 500mA. In case the USB can't provide enough current the voltage drops below the minimal required for the device to operate and communication fails.

In case you get “Device configuration failed (PLL 1)" or "Communication with the device failed.” error message:

The device needs at least 2W/400mA from USB cable. To satisfy this:

- Use the USB plug on the back of the PC, not the one on the front panel.

- Use short cable, do not use long cable or cable extender.

- Use powered USB-hub, avoid un-powered hub.

- Use USB-Y cable to load power from two plugs.

Device not detected by WaveForms:

Open Windows Device Manager then connect the device and wait up to one minute for a device to appear:

- USB Serial Converter, with warning

- Restart the computer.

- USB Serial Converter, without warning

- Restart the computer.

- Other application might have erased the USB controller EEPROM (FT_Prog, programming cable drivers...)

Use the "My device is not listed" button in WaveForms application Device Manager to reprogram the EEPROM.

- Unknown Device

Check the Hardware IDs under device Properties, Details tab

- USBVID_0403&PID_6014

The USB driver is not installed.

- Restart the computer.

- USBVID_0000&PID_0000

Device not identified or malfunction. See "Nothing shows up".

- Nothing shows up:

The device or its plug might be damaged.

Hi. I suspect that I have a similar problem as being described here.  I don't know if you can confirm or diagnose it as something else. 

I am using the AD2 in SCOPE mode, Channel 2, using a BNC interface.  I am connecting to the AC output of an educational, 2-pole motor (turned manually by a crank)  using male-banana clips to female-BNC cable.  I am connecting the AD2 to a MAC using a non-powered USB to USB-c adapter. 

I am simply trying to monitor the output of the motor. 

The scope displays the output. However, when I turn the crank at a high frequency (output probably ~2 V), I get a crash notice (attached).  I've repeated this about 7 times to report that it is a consistent behavior. 

Have you suggestions on what I can do to prevent this crashing behavior? 

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 10.52.17 AM.png

Hi, I have Analog Discovery 2 that stopped working. Any of my PCs doesn't recognize it anymore. I was measuring a voltage line that may have been up to 30 volts and when I turned on the device i was measuring, WaveForms told that Analog Discovery 2 is disconnected.

There are two components on the board that get very hot (over 100°C). One is the one with six leg with marking "LLS" and other is "FTDI FT232HQ".

The first one seems easy to replace, if one knows what it is. A regulator perhaps? The second one seems more difficult to replace, luckily not BGA. But the questions are,  what is this "LLS" chip and if I replace these, will problem be fixed or is it lying somewhere else?

ad1.jpg.1512819d615b2bdfa04d10aae940e72b.jpg

image.png.68cf9292e1eb1d45ed04964e9dfce039.png

image.png.de40701601962640dc22d181dd565c03.png

Edited by puu
Added missing photos.

I measured voltage in all six pins of the "LLS" chip against pin 2 that seems to be GND:
1: 2.67V
2: 0.00V
3: 0.33V
4: 0.28V
5: 4.64V
6: 0.30V

I also measured voltages of FT232HQ chip. Pin 40 (VREGIN) voltage seemed ok, it was around 4.8 volts. But those 3.3V pins 3, 8 and 12 were only about 0.1 volts.

image.thumb.png.f87d367003ab398c1bb007e53792a54c.png

Hi @puu

I'm sorry to hear this.

The SOT23-6 component is IC48, see:
https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/analog-discovery-2/hardware-design-guide#usb_power_control

In addition to the two components, other parts can be damaged in the analog circuit, AVCC5V0:
https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/analog-discovery-2/hardware-design-guide#analog_supplies_control

Thanks for the answer, @attila

I removed IC48 and soldered a jumper wire between its Vdd and PWR
GD. It did not help.

Then I measured resistance between FT232HQ's pins 8/12 and the ground, and it is about 1 ohm. And as I said earlier, their voltage is about 0,1V. So I suspect that FT232HQ is almost shorted inside. Now any other component is not hot.

Maybe I have to order one and try to replace it. Never replaces QFN chip before, but let's see...

image.png.692818c5ecb3dfe26fbfa420b28e0814.png

Hi @puu

Glad you were able to fix it.

The FT232HQ and ADCMP671 are rated to 5.5/6V, and a 3rd IC supplied from USB is rated to 16.5/20V.

The damaged may be caused by high USB voltage, like a faulty USB hub supply.
In order to avoid further problems, be sure to look for such !

I encountered this problem while trying to connect the device:

err.png.1f0710b039258883e9c84e07c0eeee77.png

I've inspected the board and can't seem to find any obvious sign of damage. I tried bypassing the IC20 by wiring the VCC5V0 to AVCC5V0, but that still did not solve the problem.

bridge.thumb.jpg.368bba3f90f6c411ba226061586c227b.jpg

I bought this secondhand so it's probably not possible to send it back for warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by tufourn

Hi @tufourn

Is the DVCC1V8 ok on the two 22uF caps in parallel ?
This is enabled by a signal from the FPGA on sw connection.

image.png

The 1.8V regulator would be hard to replace. You could eventually supply this rail from AVCC1V8.

image.png

Otherwise the ADC could be damaged causing the errors.

Edit: correcting the arrow for AVCC1V8

Hi @tufourn

I'm glad you managed to fix it.

In normal sequencing first the DVCC1V8 is enabled, the digital side of ADC&DAC configured, then the AVCC5V (AVCC1V8...) enabled.
Having the AVCC bypassed to DVCC, the device should be functional but you could see some glitches on the AWG output during initial software connection. There may be a minor digital to analog crosstalk, from DVCC1V8 to AVCC1V8. Expecting minor because there is an additional filtering on this rail in the analog side.

Hi,

I hope I am correct addressing my issue within this thread.

My WaveForms with Analog Discovery 2 is cyclically freezing showing very quickly the following error message - I only got it through replaying screen recording:
Communication with the deivce failed 2 DptIO failed ERC:2 out:8 in:32768 Analog In data failed.

It's not possible to work with the setup anymore. WF3.19.5, also upgraded to 3.20.1 and downgraded again. Also tried deinstallation of USB driver and full reinstall. No change.
Tried various USB cables. Nothing else connected to the AD2 (no circuit to measure). Status said OK, USB voltage and current in reasonable range. Temp at 42.0°C (a coincidence? ;-))

Any point in a new direction is highly appreciated.

Thanks and BR

Arno

Additional info: Tested the device on a second machine (Mac instead of Windows) - similar behaviour (cyclical freeze), only different error message:

Communication with the device failed 7 DptilO failed ERC:7 out:56 in:0 Analog In config failed. FDwfAnalogInConfigure

So, looks like HW issue with the Analog Discovery 2 :-(

Hi @attila,

thanks for your reply. I checked the USB port and counterpart, cleaned both with gentle air pressure, but unfortunately no change. As additional info, it looks like the error message is altering. It's only popping up for very short time, so barely readable.

E.g. I got also a "Communication with the deivce failed 2 DptiIO failed ERC:2 out:8 in:8192 Analog In noise failed."