Analog Discovery 3 WaveForms - Automotive Measurements - Custom Probes Needed Please

JonD

Question

Custom Probes Needed in WaveForms

I see that Automotive Measurements was added to Waveform which is really nice feature.  I really think there needs to be custom probes option or to even download preconfigured probes from the Cloud.   In Automotive there are a ton of different probes with different settings and the current software appears to be very limited.   For example PicoScope allows for Custom Probes and to even to do a custom table for settings for probes.   Also HScope allows to do custom probes.  I wish there was labels that could be assigned to the custom probes as well.  For Example how would I setup the PS16 pressure transducer from Rotkee Ukraine Company with current setup in Waveform.

Segments Display

I see that Rigol Scopes have the ability to do segmented display of wave forms or multiple wave forms stacked near each other.  This would be an awesome feature to have in Wave Forms to see a bunch of wave forms at the same time.

Peak Detect

Is it possible to have it so that it can detect glitches like the Snap-on Scope Peak detect as well.  Could something like this be built into the software.  It seems like my Analog Discovery 3 has more capability then the Snap-on Scope M4 Versus Edge.

4 Channel Affordable Scope

Is there any consideration for building an affordable 4 channel scope in the form factor of the Analog Discovery 3.

A case for the Analog Discovery 3 breakout box that has two channel analog and wave form generator.

I'm using this for automotive use and the breakout box that has the 2 channel scope and 2 channel waveforms is unprotected and you just see the circuit board.  This is not friendly for automotive use at all.  While it looks neat.   I don't have a 3rd printer so I'm not able make my own.

17 answers to this question

Hi @JonD

Do the Custom Probes need anything else than unit, attenuation and offset shift adjustment?
Under Option you can find "Channel Editor" where channels can be configured quickly. (I think I added this after your earlier question in this topic.)
You could also save project or workspace for different setups (probes, views... ). This may be more useful than having custom probe option.
image.png

Segments Display, are you looking for the View/Persistence ?
Persistence is also available in XY and XYZ view, and Spectrum Analyzer.

Peak Detect, Channel # / Sample Mode: Min/Max

There are no plans yet for 4 Channel Affordable Scope, but newer WaveForms versions provide dual mode which lets you control 2 identical devices at the same time. See the Help tab/ Waveforms/Device manager and AD3/System frequency
4 scope channels are available in ADP3450, EclypseZ7 with 2 Scope, Digitizer... Zmods

Hi Attila,

For the custom probes can you please the equation and custom tables that PicoScope use this would help setup custom probes. 

Custom Table:

PS7_custom_probe_table_scaling.png.a580918314cc05823caca9640367ea20.png

Custom Equation:

ps16-015-mtpro-setting-4.thumb.png.4e0b787e5bcc26eb6c824716c5068442.png

25 minutes ago, attila said:

Hi @JonD

Do the Custom Probes need anything else than unit, attenuation and offset shift adjustment?
Under Option you can find "Channel Editor" where channels can be configured quickly. (I think I added this after your earlier question in this topic.)
You could also save project or workspace for different setups (probes, views... ). This may be more useful than having custom probe option.
image.png

Segments Display, are you looking for the View/Persistence ?
Persistence is also available in XY and XYZ view, and Spectrum Analyzer.

Peak Detect, Channel # / Sample Mode: Min/Max

There are no plans yet for 4 Channel Affordable Scope, but newer WaveForms versions provide dual mode which lets you control 2 identical devices at the same time. See the Help tab/ Waveforms/Device manager and AD3/System frequency
4 scope channels are available in ADP3450, EclypseZ7 with 2 Scope, Digitizer... Zmods

Hi Attila,  For the segmented wave form display I don't believe the Wave forms does the following below:  It would be neat to have perspective display mode.  It would show any glitches for alot of waveforms at once.image.thumb.png.ac23852dbb18aa3ca6cd621c65de656a.png

image.thumb.png.d97bb8a1561ed6b8033d51bdd6f1d244.png

Hi @JonD,

The Eclypse Z7 is compatible with WaveForms; you'll need to configure a microSD as explained in the Help tab, but you'll be able to use both Zmod Scopes:

image.png

image.png

As for the different style of plots, I don't believe those exact styles of plots of supported, but there is a Persistence view within the Scope that does show multiple waveforms within the same view:

image.png

With device buffering, WaveForms will capture up to 10k of the previous acquisitions that you can individually view, but I don't believe you can readily layer them directly within WaveForms in any of the ways you displayed.

Attila (the WaveForms developer) may have some more insight (they are in a different timezone, so it might be awhile before a response).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Any word on possibly setting up a custom table for probes and equation as mentioned for Automotive Related Probe setups.   For the four channel Eclypse Z7 it doesn't look like the plugs take regular scope leads they look coxial almost instead.  Also any thought on implementing the various display types for seeing waves in a waterfall pattern to see defects fast.  

Hi @JonD

The Zmod Scope, AWG, Digitizer have SMA connectors.
EclyplseZ7 is primarily a development board but it can be also be used with WaveForms.
https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/eclypse-z7/start
https://digilent.com/reference/zmod/scope/reference-manual

I'll try to add display modes after I return from holidays, tomorrow.
The custom probes probably later since this may require more time to implement (due to the overlapping code) and I'll have to focus on nextgen devices.

Hi Attila That looks pretty awesome is the bottom wave a capture of 21 separate waveform stacked on top of one another.

The option you show would be really nice and the perspective one below might be able to show more as its 3d.

image.png.8454cdb3db67ced211b30a24ac09e7fb.png

HI Attila,  This appears to only work when the capture mode is set to repeated.  Was just wondering is there anyway the persistence can be done on a record wave form or a wave form that has been saved can it segment it.  Probably asking for something that is not possible.