Genesys ZU 3eg - howto mechanically exchange the micro sd card?

DrGuenter

Question

Hello Digilent,

How can one replace the installed micro sd-card?

Background: I have setup a second one to easily switch between projects....

I fact - it seems to be quite impossible... or is there a trick buried in the docs?
Q: Is there some spring mechanism inside, where one requires a needle/screwdriver to push? 

In fact - this is a severe drawback assuming that a removable media (SD Card) is removable...

Consider this also as a mechanical complaint (which might lead to a one star comment) ...

• next to the installation place of the micro sd-card 
  • the slot is located right in the middle of the board
  • AND points directly on neighbouring electronics,
  • on removal of the SD card, the resistors infront seem to have a high risk to get removed 
  • neglecting the fact, that there is sufficient space on the board
  • And a removable media is not to be used as a removable media
  • And it seems to be firmly attached

Regards,

Günter

3 answers to this question

Hi @DrGuenter,

The microSD card housing is on a type of hinge; while the housing is parallel to the board you need to slide it forward towards the resistors, then you can freely lift up the housing on the hinge. This is mentioned in the reference manual here: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/genesys-zu/reference-manual#microsd_slot.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

P.S. I also had to ask how to remove the SD card the first time I attempted to remove it.

4 hours ago, JColvin said:

P.S. I also had to ask how to remove the SD card the first time I attempted to remove it.

Maybe you should consider replacing it with a more conventional push-in-push-out housing? I can imagine that a fair amount of them will be broken - imagine iterating your design when you have to take it out, reflash and put it back in many tens of times every day! I used a similar housing for one of my devboards, but quickly got tired by all the hassle it takes to place the card, and from that point on I only use spring-loaded housings. It's true that they are more expensive, but I seriously doubt the difference in price is going to put a dent on a $1000 board, and your customers will certainly thank you for added convenience.

Edited by asmi

I can certainly put that in as customer feedback, though with the SD cards current location, I fear it would entail an entire PCB spin to put the SD card on the side with regards to rerouting. Maybe it could simply be rotated with minimal PCB routing rework though (I'm not a hardware engineer, so my perspective is limited on this front).

I don't know the story of why the SD card is in the middle of the board, but I would like to to think that the decision wasn't made lightly, considering that every other Digilent board (including multiple made by the same lead engineer on the Genesys ZU boards).

But at the same time, I also just noticed that the SD card housing has the open and lock instructions with arrows directly etched onto it... Regardless, it's at least clear to me that it is not a well received design choice, so I will do my best to help make sure it is not the housing of choice in the future.

Thanks,
JColvin