Base Linux project for Zybo Z7-20

Tim S.

Question

I downloaded Zybo Z7-20 base linux project from git and ran the create_project.tcl script.

On the system.bd, there are IP that require a license and are not gratis license.

Specifically, the /mipi_csi2_rx_subsystem_0 requires an IP Core license for its sub-component bd_0ac3_rx_0 which.is MIPI CSI-2 Rx Controller.

How can I proceed from here for generating a working Zybo Z7-20 linux demo?

Thanks.

Tim

16 answers to this question

Hi @Tim S.,

I was able to generate a bitstream using the zybo z7 base linux project from here.

1) I downloaded the project and then downloaded the vivado library and put the contents of the vivado library in the repo/vivado_library folder.

2) I then loaded the project in vivado 2017.4. 

3) Then i upgraded/generated the IP cores using the report ip status under tools.

4) I then had to create a wrapper after which i was able to generate a bitstream without an issue.

best regards,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

I am unable to upgrade the IP core. Vivado indicates a need to purchase the IP core. Is this IP core not free with WebPACK? Would the SDSoC license voucher provide access to this core?

Best regards,

Tim

Hi @Tim S.,

The IP Cores provided by Digilent should not have a cost. Here is a forum thread that describes these MIPI altered IP Cores. Are you able to generated a bitstream with the Zybo Z7-20 PCAM-5C project here(use the Vivado 2017.4 version)? I believe this project uses the same altered MIPI IP Cores.

best regards,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

The base-linux project provides a complex and highly configurable IP Core for the MIPI RX as part of the Board Design. The core is not included under repo/ of the design. It cannot be customized without a license. And it cannot be synthesized without a license. The name of the MIPI RX also differs from the simpler model of the PCam 5 demo. The demo provides MIPI_CSI_2_RX_0 which is an instance of "MIPI CSI-2 Receiver v1.1". The linux base utilizes an absent mipi_csi2_rx_subsystem_0 which is an instance of "MIPI CSI-2 Rx Subsystem v1.0"  containing unlicensed core "MIPI CSI-2 Rx Controller v3.0" (Product Guide 232?).

Regards,

Tim

Hi @Tim S.,

I reached out to a co-worker that got the same error as you. We dug further into my licenses and it turns out that I have the MIPI licenses and that is why i was not having issues.  We also reached out to our content team which suggested to utilize the petalinux releases which include already generated bitstreams and hardware information so you would not need the licenses. 

As it stands now it sounds like if you are wanting to instead alter the linux base design or use the linux base design for a different linux platform then you would either need to strip out the licensed content or purchase the licenses.

In the next few days I will be working on verifying that the petalinux release will not have the licensing issues that are in having in the zybo z7 20 base linux design.

best regards,

Jon

11 hours ago, canisio said:

Hi @jpeyron ans @Tim S.

Any updates on this? My plan was to use this Base Linux project as a kick start for my own project, and this license issue is preventing me to customize the hardware. BTW, any changes on upgrading the Petalinux releases? 2017 was 5 years ago.

Thanks much.

They were upgraded 4 months ago. Checkout this branch: Zybo-Z7-20/Petalinux/upgrade.

Hello,

@thinkthinkthink is the hardware project for Zybo-Z7-20/Petalinux/upgrade published anywhere ?

Anyway, it seems that the license for mipi_csi2_rx_subsystem_0 IP is shipped for free in newer Vivado releases, so it would be great if https://github.com/Digilent/Zybo-Z7-20-base-linux could be updated to newer Vivado.

@canisio I presume you have retrieved the block diagram from .xsa ? Wouldn't you mind sharing hints how to do that ?

12 hours ago, filipj said:

Hello,

@thinkthinkthink is the hardware project for Zybo-Z7-20/Petalinux/upgrade published anywhere ?

Anyway, it seems that the license for mipi_csi2_rx_subsystem_0 IP is shipped for free in newer Vivado releases, so it would be great if https://github.com/Digilent/Zybo-Z7-20-base-linux could be updated to newer Vivado.

@canisio I presume you have retrieved the block diagram from .xsa ? Wouldn't you mind sharing hints how to do that ?

Here's the HW branch: Zybo-Z7-HW/20/Petalinux/upgrade. Were you not able to find it ? Should I let others know that this new repo structure is a bit confusing ?

And about that base linux project, it's obsolete but it was replaced by the project I just linked. I think it's the same project even, it's just that it was moved to a new repo.

@thinkthinkthink Thanks, that's great ! I will check how it works in a minute. From commits I presume it is compatible with Vivado 2020.1 and 2021.1 ?

Yes, the repo structure and READMEs are a bit misleading. Also, could page with demos point to the most recent repos ?

This page is the resource I usually use to learn how to use Zybo, but it looks like there might be more examples that were not listed.

https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/zybo-z7/demos/petalinux?redirect=1

Most links and directions still point to the old repos where mipi IP wasn't for free.

Also, it would be nice if this new repo could have "Releases" for each supported Vivado, same as the old one had.

I have just rebuilt the whole HW project and then petalinux project with updated HW bitstream (I used both projects from before update to 2021.1 because I use 2020.1)

Up & running ! Great job! ?This gives plenty of opportunities.

@thinkthinkthink you should really make this project more visible in your guides and on the forum. (I have found other threads where people were asking for updating this project).

(Only issue I had was that in order to generate new bitstream successfully I needed to add manually constraint file to the Vivado project for some reason)