Using PMODNIC100 with Nexys4ddr for Second Ethernet Port

Sree

Question

I need a second ethernet port on my Nexys4ddr board, so I got the PMODNIC100 ethernet connector. To get started, I was trying to follow the Getting Started with Digilent Pmod IPs Tutorial, but since I do not find any IP core for PMODNIC100 in Vivado 2015.4, I do not know how to proceed. Can you please guide me regarding how to send and receive data through the PMOD NIC100 ethernet connector?

3 answers to this question

Hi @Sree,

Unfortunately, we have not had time to make an IP Core for the PmodNIC100.  Here is a forum thread that discusses getting the PmodNIC100 to work with an FPGA using VHDL. I believe you should be also able to axi Quad SPI IP Core to facilitate the spi communication. For a reference on how to work with IP core here is the AXI Quad SPI v3.2 LogiCORE IP Product Guide. Once you have the communication working you will need to implement the Ethenet protocols in SDK. This will be a complicated task. It would be easier to facilitate a different form of communication to send a receive date.  What size and speed are you needing to send and receive data?

thank you,

Jon

Dear @jpeyron,

Thanks for your reply. I need to connect the board to a switch through the second ethernet port. Since the Nexyx4DDR board does not offer any option other than using pmod, we considered this. What alternative form of communication do you suggest? Is it possible to use the USB-HID to drive an ethernet adapter in case we use an USB-ethernet adapter?

Hi @Sree,

The USB HID can be used to program the fpga. Once the fpga is programmed then it will only work with keyboards or mice. I was suggesting replacing one of you desired ethernet connections with a different form of communication such as the Pmod WIFI or uart through the usb uart depending on your data transfer rate needs.

thank you,

Jon 

Archived