JTAG-USB Question

JTAG-USB-FTDI

Question

I am interfacing between a USB IC (a FT2232H FTDI chip) and a EEPROM IC (a 93AA56BT). To make the FTDI chip recognizable by Xilinx tools I need licensed Digilent Serial Numbers. How can I get a licensed serial number file to enable a USB-JTAG FTDI interface? Are these licenses keyed specifically to your chips? How can I enable a JTAG-USB FTDI interface?

Edited by JColvin

20 answers to this question

@JColvin

Hello Mr. JColvin

our company is interested in debugging Xilinx 7Series FPGAs over a FT2232H FTDI chip - Microblaze debugging over the Vivado IDE as well as bitfile loading and SPI flash image update.

My research on the internet brought me here. If I got it right it is possible to use the FTDI chips for Microblaze debugging if they notify themselves as Digilent devices. Then Vivado and SDK are capable of communicating with them. Is this correct? If yes then would you be so kind to inform me about the license costs and additional fees which are raised by Digilent to use this feature. Thank you in advance.

Regards

Valentin

Hint: You can buy an officially licensed adapter module here:

https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/de/TE0790-02-XMOD-FTDI-JTAG-Adapter-Xilinx-kompatibel

The description is awfully German :-) but it's pretty straightforward together with a TE0725 board (which is BTW interesting in a sense that it's available up to Artix 100 size and EOL predicted ~2028)

Caveats:

• Weak regulator (Clearly stated in the doc, but in my experience a Microblaze test design will run on USB bus power)
  • Does not support 30 MHz signals, if you intend to do your own MPSSE JTAG programming. Clock divider 1 / 15 MHz works reliably.

a.jpg

Hi

thank you for the suggestions. German is not a problem so I will take a look on the links you have posted @xc6lx45

Our purpose is to use our own on-board FT2232H chip and omit any additional HW. Currently we have designed an adapter where the Xilinx programmer can be attached to but some products are/will be placed in a housing which will later no longer be accessible. The only "visible" connector would be the one of the USB.

Regards

Valentin

On 1/16/2019 at 11:13 AM, jpeyron said:

HI @Ahp,

You will need to contact "support dot digilent at ni dot com" to further discuss acquiring the license for the programming solution.

cheers,

Jon

Hi, @jpeyron,

Do you mean "support dot digilent at ni dot com" ?

Does National Instrument has something to do with Xilinx-Digilent license ?

I really need to know how to get license for the custom FTDI JTAG license.

Hi @imlcorp,

The email you listed was accurate (I edited it though in the interest of preventing bots from being able to directly copy it). I have sent you a PM with the Digilent contact to discuss licensing, but to answer your other question, no, neither National Instruments nor Xilinx is directly involved with this license.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi,

I have similar question.

I need to use FTDI based USB to JTAG for programming Virtex Ultrascale FPGA. (Requirement is to use FTDI chip not the Module) I need the license for the same. 

Could you point us to the right contact person?

15 minutes ago, Chellam said:

Hi,

I have similar question.

I need to use FTDI based USB to JTAG for programming Virtex Ultrascale FPGA. (Requirement is to use FTDI chip not the Module) I need the license for the same. 

Could you point us to the right contact person?

Hello, Chellam,

@JColvin  gave me a email address after the above discussion.

I sent an inquiry (licensing) email to the address, but I could receive no reply so far.

On 7/6/2015 at 9:43 PM, JTAG-USB-FTDI said:

I am interfacing between a USB IC (a FT2232H FTDI chip) and a EEPROM IC (a 93AA56BT). To make the FTDI chip recognizable by Xilinx tools I need licensed Digilent Serial Numbers. How can I get a licensed serial number file to enable a USB-JTAG FTDI interface? Are these licenses keyed specifically to your chips? How can I enable a JTAG-USB FTDI interface?

If you find answer for this please advise