Regarding JTAG-SMT3-NC: The localhost is recognized on hw-manager, but the FPGA is not recognized

Yuko Yamamoto

Question

We want a write a bit file to an FPGA(Artix-7, XC7A200T) using Vivado lab edition 2017.1.

The localhost is recognized on hw-manager, but the FPGA devise is not recognized.

We have tried the following methods.

- Installation of FTDI driver

- Writing board name, etc. to EEPROM  (using the commands described in the AMD datasheet)

The UART signal is working and communication is established between the PC and FPGA.

Can you please confirm the cause of the problem?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Adding circuit information,

No diodes are inserted between the connector and pins 17/16(USB_DP/USB_DM),

No diodes are inserted between the connector and pins 17/16, and the pattern length between the connector and pins 17/16 is wired as short as possible.

Currently, pins 3(CTS), 6(TXD), 5(RXD), and 4(RTS) are functioning, but pins 13(TMS), 10(TCK), 12(TDI), and 11(TDO) are not functioning.

Are there any other factors?

Outlook-3pvvmzr1 (1).png

Hi @Yuko Yamamoto,

Your layout seems fine. What I am not certain of is what you mean by the writing of the board name and other details to the EEPROM.

With the Digilent JTAG modules, you should only need the cable drivers -- accessible either through the select versions Xilinx has as part of installation (https://support.xilinx.com/s/article/59128?language=en_US) or the latest version of the runtime drivers directly from Digilent here: https://digilent.com/reference/software/adept/start. The Xilinx/AMD software via the Vivado hardware server should then be able to detect the downstream FPGA.

If the host computer can no longer correctly identify the module (an example of what you should see for Windows is in this thread and for Linux in this thread), then I can help you get the JTAG SMT3 configuration reset.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you Mr. Colvin.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Referring to information in the forum,
I downloaded and set up the Digilent Adept software, but the situation did not improve.

On the Device Manager, the Digilent device is recognized, as in the forum image.
On VivadoManager, it recognizes up to Localhost, but not FPGA devices.
I tried setting the JTAG frequency to the lowest, but it had no effect.

A screen image is the USB connection in progress 

Thanks

vivado_hardwaremanager.png

vivado_hardwaremanager2.png

DeviceManager.png

Hi @Yuko Yamamoto,

I asked another engineer more familiar with the JTAG SMT3 and they mentioned that if you were messing with the EEPROM through AMD, there is a chance that the tri-state buffers for the JTAG lines are no longer being properly enabled.

I have sent you a PM to help reconfigure the JTAG SMT3 to its default state.

Thanks,
JColvin