Impedance analyzer

Mohamed Kamal

Question

5 answers to this question

Yes. Impedance Analyzers in general rely on having a known resistance/impedance to compare the unknown impedance with, specifically to compare the voltage drop and phase difference of a signal between the known and unknown loads.

Using a known impedance value that is close to the unknown impedance value, ideally within an order of magnitude, will give you more accurate results as the differences will not be (effectively) attenuated.

The catch of course is that you known which known resistance to use when attempting to determine the value of the unknown impedance because it's, well, unknown. WaveForms in combination with the Impedance Analyzer adapter helps to account for this by comparing initial measurements between the on-board known resistances and the unknown impedance and quickly cycling through the different known resistors to give users the closest match to provide the most accurate results (due to least amount of difference between the known and unknown values).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

so, this means that I will get a right reading in all cases but the most accurate one cannot be determined without knowing the proper resistor? 
I also want an explanation for the parameters, for example: what is the series capacitance and parallel capacitance.
and how to get the overall capacitance? 

Edited by Mohamed Kamal

Hi @Mohamed Kamal,

The formulas for the various calculations of the Impedance Analyzer are provided in the WaveForms Help tab:

image.png

Rs and Xs have some additional clarification in this Forum thread here:

As for how to get the 'overall capacitance', both series and parallel models provide the overall capacitance; which model you "should" choose depends on what kind of measurement you are making. This Application Note provides a good overview and addresses this type of question in its FAQ: https://assets.testequity.com/te1/Documents/pdf/series-parallel-impedance-parameters-an.pdf.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin