How to use the SDK (Vitis).

aceblen

Question

Hello, 
I am trying to use a PMOD on my Basys 3 Artix 7 FPGA Board. I am going the IP core route and want to export the hardware (.xsa) from Vivado and use it in Vitis. The tutorial I was following from Digilent was working fine until Vivado had an option to "open the SDK". I see that the SDK is just Vitis now, but I do not know how to achieve the equivalent of opening up my IP core in Vitis. Any help would be great.

2 answers to this question

Hi @aceblen,

I'm not certain which version of Vivado you have or which Pmod tutorial you might be using (I'm presuming this one that was made for pre-Vitis era, https://digilent.com/reference/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/pmod-ips/start).

I don't know what you mean by opening up an IP core in Vitis, but in terms of getting most Pmod modules working in newer versions of Vivado (I haven't tested any Pmods with 2023.2 with its new underlying IDE), but in general the approach in Vitis is largely the same as SDK. The only major difference is that when adding in the IP core to the Block Diagram in Vivado you'll need to right click on the output of the Pmod IP and choose to make the output external.

You'll then create a .xdc file that matches the pin names of those external pins (names of which can be found in the wrapper after you have Vivado validate the Block Design and create the wrapper for it). There is some more detail about this process in this thread:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin