djtgcfg failed on programming Zedboard

Tparng

Question

I try to use djtgcfg to write bitstream onto Zedboard.  djtgcfg started but failed with the following messages:

Programming device. Do not touch your board. This may take a few minutes...
ERROR: failed to program device with file ./build/top.bit

The same bitstream file can be written onto Zedboard and run successfully with Vivado 2022.1 Program Device command.

Does djtgcfg work for the fpga device on Zedboard ?

BTW, djtgcfg can find my Zedboard as shown below:

$ djtgcfg enum
Found 1 device(s)

Device: Zed
    Device Transport Type: 00020001 (USB)
    Product Name:          Digilent Zed
    User Name:             Zed
    Serial Number:       XXXXXXXX

Thanks,

Tparng

3 answers to this question

Hi @Tparng,

Since you didn't directly clarify this, do you have the Vivado Hardware Manager open at the same time and connected to the Zedboard at the same time while trying to configure it through djtgcfg? This would be a point of failure if the JTAG access was otherwise already claimed.

Otherwise the Adept developer clarified to me that Adept should be able to program the PL of the Zynq 7020, but this has not been thoroughly tested. Adept is not able to configure the PS (or flash memory in general for non-Zynq devices).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

@JColvin,

If I have Vivado Hardware Manager open and launch djtgcfg, I got the  message:    ERROR: failed to initialize scan chain

With Vivado Hardware Manager closed, it seems that djtgcfg can start programming but failed later and got the following message:

Programming device. Do not touch your board. This may take a few minutes...
ERROR: failed to program device with file ./build/top.bit

Thanks.

Hi @Tparng,

I apologize for the long delay.

I'm not certain why djtgcfg is not successfully configuring the Zedboard. It's not particularly helpful to you, but I am able to successfully configure the Zybo Z7-20 I have on my desk with the Adept GUI (which I was told by the developer uses the same underlying API calls that djtgcfg uses).

Is there a particular reason that you want to use dtjgcfg when Vivado is already working to configure the board?

Thanks,
JColvin