Implementation of GNSS receiver based on MAX2769 and ZedBoard

Jozef

Question

Hi every one

Several weeks ago I'm working in implementation of MAX2769 GNSS receiver with ZedBoard, I am a noob in programming FPGAs and SOC, So anyone who can help me please please don't be stingy Any help would be appreciated

In fact I want help in developing tracking correlator and acquisition modules for the FPGA 

I'm reading a lot about receiving IF data from RF front end and implement correlator in FPGA and processing in PS side, so any thing will be benefit, projects, open sources …etc

Thanks

14 answers to this question

Sorry, but the harsh reality is that this is not feasible if you're an FPGA/SoC newbie. This kind of stuff is within reach only if you're a pretty experienced FPGA/SoC engineer. At a minimum, a few years of experience with these kinds of technologies is required.

Okay; before you said "I am a noob in programming FPGAs and SOC". What's your actual level? What's the most complicated thing you ever made in an FPGA?

Do I understand correctly that you want to track the PRNG codes as sent by the GNSS satellites, and try to do locking and processing That sounds like a fun (but big) project, it would effectively replicate a lot of the functionality of a modern GNSS receiver chip. But perhaps I completely misunderstood what you have in mind.

On 9/6/2023 at 8:59 AM, reddish said:

Okay; before you said "I am a noob in programming FPGAs and SOC". What's your actual level? What's the most complicated thing you ever made in an FPGA?

Do I understand correctly that you want to track the PRNG codes as sent by the GNSS satellites, and try to do locking and processing That sounds like a fun (but big) project, it would effectively replicate a lot of the functionality of a modern GNSS receiver chip. But perhaps I completely misunderstood what you have in mind.

Ok, the most complicated thing I made using Zynq SOC was implementation of HMC833 FRACTIONAL-N PLL WITH INTEGRATED VCO and controlling it's frequency as I need. What I need is building GNSS receiver in zynq, I have MAX2769 evaluation board and ZedBoard to implement this. I spent a lot of time in studying and searching, what I need is your help if you have resources that will help me to build my project.

I am very grateful for your answer

Thanks

It's a very nice chip, an analog front-end for GNSS up to and including I/Q ADC outputs. Indeed you could hook up an FPGA to this and turn it into a functioning GNSS receiver, I think.

I'm just a bit confused that somebody who self-describes as an FPGA noob could even consider doing that. It's a daunting project, I'd estimate the effort in terms of years, for an experienced developer.

Perhaps this forum isn't the best place to ask for hints or pointers; I think you'd be better served by a forum that focuses on hard-core, low-level GNSS data processing (not that I know such fora, but I suspect they exist).

So I can't help you; perhaps others can. Best of luck with the project.

You mention the MAX2769 receiver chip and the HMC833 PLL. It isn't clear to me what exactly your project goals are.

Are you trying to use you own custom RF to IF circuit to produce digital signals that you will then process in an FPGA? Or, are you trying to use the MAX2769 and use the ZYNQ to process its output?

6 minutes ago, D@n said:

My first FPGA project was to build a GPS correlator given an FPGA and MAX2769

I suspect that there are newer and better GNSS receiver chips available these days. The MAX2769 seems to be in the DSP era, so a ZYNQ replacement shouldn't be too hard of a project. I'm reading the thread as possibly something different... don't know yet.

@zygot

One of the things that made the MAXIM chip ideal for GNSS handling is that it was primarily an RF to baseband samples chip.  It did everything.  If you wanted to change how you did your DSP, that was all on you.  Adding a new satellite?  As long as it was in the same frequency range and used (roughly) the same bandwidth as GPS, the chip would work nicely.  Yes, I can imagine this same chip working two decades later.  Why?  Because FCC frequency allocations only change slowly over time, and I doubt the DOD would want to do anything to cause the (currently working) GPS receiver base to suddenly fail with a new upgrade.

Dan

16 hours ago, zygot said:

You mention the MAX2769 receiver chip and the HMC833 PLL. It isn't clear to me what exactly your project goals are.

Are you trying to use you own custom RF to IF circuit to produce digital signals that you will then process in an FPGA? Or, are you trying to use the MAX2769 and use the ZYNQ to process its output?

using HMC833 with Zynq is separate project, I mention it as I build it before  .

14 hours ago, D@n said:

@reddish,

My first FPGA project was to build a GPS correlator given an FPGA and MAX2769.

It's doable, even as a first project.  As with anything, the trick is to break the project down into byte sized chunks, and to remember to plan on the need for debugging along the way.

Dan

Thank you much, that's it ... nothing is impossible 

I ask question here to benefit if there are any resources that it might help me along my trip.