Does the Analog Discovery 2 & 3 have 14 bit hardware vertical resolution.

JonD

Question

Does the Analog Discovery 2 & 3 have 14 bit hardware vertical resolution.

Can the Analog Discovery do reference waveforms.

Has anyone used Analog discovery for automotive diagnostics.  Can it display cylinder labels.  Can it do 720 degrees for compression measurements.

Can you make your own custom probes in the software.

Are square and sine waves noisy with Analog discovery.

17 answers to this question

The answer is yes

WaveForms Help is already available in Beta, with a hardware resolution of 14bit, and even up to 16bit at low speeds.

WaveForms has all the features you want, so you should download it and try it out.

It looks pretty good except for the price.
I can't wait to try it

image.thumb.png.c6754a3b30bb07159f93dd9adf1517eb.png

Edited by Pauluck

On 6/14/2023 at 7:50 AM, attila said:

Hi @JonD @Derek Eder

Thank you for your posts and mails.

Which option would be better ? to tweak the cursors or to have separate view, similar to the Eye Pattern ?

image.png

Hi Atila,

It would be nice if these were.defined as as overlays as the cursors have.no labels. For example for measuring.relative compresison on cars and trucks it would nice to have a 720 degree overlay.  Also an overlay for cylinder labels that.would have configureable firing order.  For example cylinder 1 3 2 4 These two features would make the Analog Discovery 3 very appealing.to the DIY mechanic and even mobile professional mechanics.  Also having configureable probes for current clamps and.secomdary ignition would be awesome.  You could reach an entire community for auto.diagnostics.  I wish Waveforms had these features and I wish I had An Analog Discovery 3. Thank you JonD.     

On 6/14/2023 at 1:23 AM, Derek Eder said:

I have the same interests as you JonD and hope some developers write some automotive diagnostic routines for data capture and display.

Hi Derek,

I ended up going with an HS502 Oscilliscope.that. is.12 bit and.has rulers for 720 degree and cylinders.  I'm just unsure if Digilent will pursue the auto.otive side it would.be.awesome.if.they did because its 14 bits and would probably produce excellent.wave.forms

On 6/21/2023 at 3:37 AM, attila said:

Hi @JonD @Derek Eder

I'm planning something for automotive measurements once I have a clear idea of what is needed.
How about having custom grids with options for 720, cylinders... ? this instead of the default 10x10

image.png

Hi Attila,  I'm not sure what you mean by adding a custom grid.  The cylinder labels kind of act like a cursor overlay that can be automatically adjusted or resized.  For example a 4 cylinder car wouldnhave four lines or one line per cylinder.  Also it.should allow you to change the cylinder labels baes on firing order.  For example firing order of a four cylinder might be 1,3,2,4.  The 720 degree for compression is also an adjustable cursor that has degee markers for intake compression exhaust.  

Hi @jom

I have seen it but it seems to me there are too many vertical lines, 'time grid' + overlay, which could make it hard to interpret.
This is why I'm asking if it would be better to have options to select different grids: default time, 320/720, cylinders; Instead of adjusting the overlay on the signal, the signal (time position and base) should be adjusted on the grid.

Hi Attila ,

I don't think that custom grids willl work at all.  There is a vertical line for eah cylinder and its a resizeable overlay so you can drag it to top of peaks in waveform.  

Was just wondering if you have actually used the HScope demo to get a.feel for how this works.

Hi Attila

How did you get to that cylinder menu? I am running 3.20.16 on a mac with AD2 & 3.... I'd like to give it a try

Also about the OP's question for custom probes...

I use the offset and scaling settings for different automotive probes but is there a way to have a saved setting menu?

I have a list of settings I use for each probe but changing them manually every time is slightly cumbersome.. I can save the workspace but sometimes I need a different mix of probes.

If I could name the setting by probe that that would be great.. my others scopes have a icon menu for saved probe settings but since they don't allow custom icons it seems pointless. A dropdown of saved settings would be most useful...

for example a Hantek secondary ignition probe can be set up in one of two ways on Waveforms as shown below. I prefer the KV setting....

Definitely not a "calibrated" probe by any means so any relative display is good but something nice about showing a lay person a graph in KV helps them appreciate the potential...

pun intended...

ign-kv.png

ign-v.png

menu.png