Why "Do not select the system clock input to the MIG"?

zzzhhh

Question

4 answers to this question

Hey @zzzhhh, sorry for the delayed response.

I'm the one who wrote the guide in its current form a while back, and honestly, I'm not sure. I've been digging around in some Xilinx docs (links below), and haven't been able to come up with anything definitive so far. Perhaps using the clock would impose an otherwise unnecessary clock domain crossing on the AXI data bus connection to the MIG. Perhaps the high fanout of using the clock in many places across the design would make it more difficult to meet timing once the FPGA is more full than it is with the simple setup created in the guide. Perhaps using the clock for logic would pull it off of the CMT backbone that it needs to be on for the MIG (I don't think this one is the case, since the clock on the backbone seems like it could drive both a BUFG and a CMT/PLL?).

Maybe someone with deeper experience will be able to jump in.

If you build a system with Microblaze being clocked from the system clock input and don't run into any related warnings, are able to meet timing, and the clock interactions look okay, you should be good.

Docs in question:

Hope this helped,

Arthur

Edited by artvvb
Add ug472

It seems that both the MIG and clocking wizard try to instantiate the input buffer (IBUFG) that the clock must pass through on its way from the pin. If these buffers were removed from generated HDL sources and placed in an RTL module feeding into both the MIG and clocking wizard, perhaps this could work, however, that could be a painful process in the tools, especially managing when those generated sources might be updated and overwritten. The "No Buffer" on input clock option in the clocking wizard would be helpful.

Some related info:

https://support.xilinx.com/s/question/0D52E00006hpsa9SAA/using-a-global-clock-buffer-at-a-clock-capable-pin?language=en_US

And a relevant critical warning:

[Shape Builder 18-119] Failed to create I/OLOGIC Route Through shape for instance design_1_i/mig_7series_0/u_design_1_mig_7series_0_0_mig/u_ddr3_clk_ibuf/se_input_clk.u_ibufg_sys_clk. Found overlapping instances within the shape: design_1_i/clk_wiz_0/inst/clkin1_ibufg and design_1_i/mig_7series_0/u_design_1_mig_7series_0_0_mig/u_ddr3_clk_ibuf/se_input_clk.u_ibufg_sys_clk.

image.png

Thanks,

Arthur