Waveforms on Eclypse Z7 Scope

Leo_W

Question

Hi digilent,

I saw on the forum that Waveforms supports the Eclypse Z7 oscilloscope, but I encountered some problems when using it. The device cannot be searched on Waveforms. When burning the program, whether it is using Vivado or Adept, it will report an error.

微信图片_20220829153440.png

微信图片_20220829153452.png

25 answers to this question

image.thumb.png.9b3c7722a2f16f3926ca57f6c859da85.png

@artvvb

Hi!

I followed the steps in the Help document on the Waveforms software, and neither method A nor method B can run successfully, and the done light on the board is not on. Whether it is using Vivado or Adept software to burn into the bit stream, an error will be reported. The error type can be seen in my previous post.So I suspect there may be something wrong with the bit file.

Thanks!

Edited by Leo_W

Hi @attila

I found some problems when using Eclypse z7.

1. The oscilloscope shows that the sine wave I generated is unstable and has obvious sawtooth. But when I check 2 channels, the displayed waveform is much smoother.

image.thumb.png.e89c2e2f66e67f7db422e935cfbcbc63.png

image.thumb.png.8156c3368462c9eabbedc890af43dba8.png

image.thumb.png.f7a3df43686b4ab96aa344c7e56c89f5.png

2. When the range is 200mV/div, the oscilloscope displays the wrong value of the sine wave, which is 25 times smaller. And this abnormality will only appear below the 200mV/div range, and it is still normal at 200.1. After that, I adjusted the attenuation to 25 times, and the peak value was 1V in the 200mV/div range (consistent with the sine wave I generated), which is also the same value in the 500mV/div range, without 25 times larger (the previous 500mV/div range) 1V peak below).In other words, the display above the 200mV/div range is normal, and the magnification does not change by 25 times. Below 200mV/div, it needs to be magnified 25 times to be the correct value.

image.thumb.png.62060c718b071c88581b1cfef3a0b8d7.pngimage.thumb.png.22bcf82ba3d38dcf4c72d237d192ac25.png

image.thumb.png.59154a6f458f93336171e522b5b401d0.png

16 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @Leo_W

In combination of B-ADC and A-DAC the Scope gain control was not working but it is fixed in the latest version:

Oh, this is awesome! After I used the new exe software here, the problem of gain has been solved, but the problem of unsmooth waveform still exists, and obvious burrs can still be seen. The waveform seen is much smoother only when channel 2 is turned on.

11 minutes ago, Leo_W said:

Oh, this is awesome! After I used the new exe software here, the problem of gain has been solved, but the problem of unsmooth waveform still exists, and obvious burrs can still be seen. The waveform seen is much smoother only when channel 2 is turned on.

Not only 1 channel, but also the waveform obtained with only 2 channels is not smooth, especially when the waveform is above 1MHz

9 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @Leo_W

The Zmod-Scope has two gain/input range steps <=200mV/div (2V pk2pk) and 50Vpk2pk, giving ~0.13mV and ~3.2mV resolution for 14bit resolution ADC
Are you using BNC cable?

image.png

image.png

I am using SMA cable.If I open two channels here, the waveform obtained is relatively smooth, but if I open only one channel, the waveform will not be smooth.

image.thumb.png.89890b300025493acce2fce36b05a7b5.png

Hi @Leo_W

Having only 1 channel of 2 checked (or 1 of 4 or 2 of 4) should reuse the buffer of the other channel(s) so the available capture buffer size doubles (or quadruples). 
Unfortunately when one of the two channels is disabled the "firmware" stores each sample twice. This is visible if you zoom in further.
It will be fixed in the next version.

Sorry for these bugs. The Eclypse-Zmod-WF support was internally used for several years. Now, before going to public I've added many new features to it but it looks like I haven't tested thoroughly enough...

Edited by attila

17 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @Leo_W

Having only 1 channel of 2 checked (or 1 of 4 or 2 of 4) should reuse the buffer of the other channel(s) so the available capture buffer size doubles (or quadruples). 
Unfortunately when one of the two channels is disabled the "firmware" stores each sample twice. This is visible if you zoom in further.
It will be fixed in the next version.

Sorry for these bugs. The Eclypse-Zmod-WF support was internally used for several years. Now, before going to public I've added many new features to it but it looks like I haven't tested thoroughly enough...

oh great!I tried the waveform from the latest version and it looks perfect. If there is a new version to try, I will be happy to help test it.

I still have problem to connect Eclypse board to Waveforms.

I can't program QSPI.  SO I used SD boot by copy the "DCFG_07_01_01.bin" to SD card.

The Waveforms version I used is  3.19.11 64bit Qt5.15.2 (Waveforms beta)

There are there problems:

1.  This version can't detect my board (connected through USB).

2.  My device is not listed -->Device Fix, 

There are two device listed:  1.  00000000 "" SN:  and 2.  00000172 "digilent USB Device B" SN210393

3.  However there is no "Eclypse Z7" listed in product pull-down list.

image.png.e0c2a43bd5ee6b9ba704fa9c8089b5ba.png

image.png.e0c2a43bd5ee6b9ba704fa9c8089b5ba.png