What tools required for basys2 board from Xilinx ?

JerryFen

Question

2021-12-21

I am stuck trying to get an environment that I can use for basys2 and verilog.  I have successfully done this for basys3. For basys2 I have vivado 2017.2 (stated in an appendix of a book) but cannot

configure it to use basys2 ) .  Could someone give me

some help to get started with basys2. ( I can use 

vivado  2019.1 successfully  for basys3 after copying board files

but am completely stopped with basys2.   My problem

is not with verilog but getting over a very elementary

problem of getting and configuring the proper files

needed for basys2. Are there any board files required

for basys2 (I think there must be but I cannot find them nor can I find instructions for where they go )

The tutorial for basys3 was sufficient to get me started but not the tutorial for basys2.

3 answers to this question

Hi @JerryFen,

As noted on the store page for the Basys 2, https://digilent.com/shop/basys-2-spartan-3e-fpga-trainer-board/, only Xilinx's legacy ISE software is able to configure the Basys 2. None of Xilinx's Vivado software suites will be able to configure or create a design for the Spartan-3E present on the Basys 2. Xilinx last updated their ISE software back in October 2013 (and eventually an option of a virtual machine download version for Windows 10) which you can choose to download from Xilinx's archive here: https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/vivado-design-tools/archive-ise.html.

In terms of support from Digilent's side of things, all I can really offer is the old Learn content that Digilent has here: https://learn.digilentinc.com/list?category=Digital; since all active support has been focused on our 7-Series boards (like the Basys 3) since 2014.

Thanks,
JColvin

2022-02-03the 

Thank you.

I have made some progress and will continue.  I have successfully installed the Oracle Virtual Box and Downloaded and successfully

installed the 14_7 ISE .  I needed first to get a windows 10 pro upgrade (and then windows 11 Pro) as the software requires to pro model of windows.  At that point I learned that a VM (virtual machine) was required and as stated above was successful.

Unfortunately at that point,  my machine had to go in for a warranty repair.  On another machine I have been trying to find the time

to  bring it up to a working point.  I thank you for your help and guidance and the links provided

2022-02-03

I forgot to add that on a basys3 I have been successful at following and implementing examples of working with an fpga.

It is more to achieve a desire to get the basys2 up and working than a requirement and I will continue with that challenge.