u-boot-digilent fetching error building Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20 BSP Project

stefanotpp

Question

Hello,

I am trying to recompile the Zybo Z7-20 Petalinux BSP Project for Petalinux 2017.4 following the instructions at the following link 

https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/blob/master/README.md?_ga=2.116862981.281431028.1631545043-1618975385.1615301821

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on a VMware virtual machine.

I'm experiencing the following problem after launching the build command :

stefano@ubuntu:~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20$ petalinux-build
[INFO] building project
[INFO] generating Kconfig for project

[INFO] oldconfig project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
[INFO] generating plnxtool conf
[INFO] generating meta-plnx-generated layer
~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20/build/misc/plnx-generated ~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20
~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20
[INFO] generating machine configuration
[INFO] generating bbappends for project . This may take time ! 
~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20/build/misc/plnx-generated ~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20
~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20
[INFO] generating u-boot configuration files

[INFO] generating kernel configuration files
[INFO] generating kconfig for Rootfs
Generate rootfs kconfig
[INFO] oldconfig rootfs
[INFO] generating petalinux-user-image.bb
INFO: bitbake petalinux-user-image
Loading cache: 100% |########################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:01
Loaded 3257 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes: 100% |######################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:05
Parsing of 2473 .bb files complete (2428 cached, 45 parsed). 3266 targets, 226 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
Initialising tasks: 100% |###################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:07
Checking sstate mirror object availability: 100% |###########################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:01:25
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
WARNING: u-boot-xlnx-v2017.01-xilinx-v2017.4+gitAUTOINC+42deb242f9-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL git://github.com/digilent/u-boot-digilent.git;protocol=https;branch=master, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: u-boot-xlnx-v2017.01-xilinx-v2017.4+gitAUTOINC+42deb242f9-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure: Unable to find revision 42deb242f961ce317366566666cbbddfb198bc9f in branch master even from upstream
ERROR: u-boot-xlnx-v2017.01-xilinx-v2017.4+gitAUTOINC+42deb242f9-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure for URL: 'git://github.com/digilent/u-boot-digilent.git;protocol=https;branch=master'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: u-boot-xlnx-v2017.01-xilinx-v2017.4+gitAUTOINC+42deb242f9-r0 do_fetch: Function failed: base_do_fetch
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/stefano/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-xlnx/v2017.01-xilinx-v2017.4+gitAUTOINC+42deb242f9-r0/temp/log.do_fetch.25378
ERROR: Task (/opt/pkg/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-xlnx_2017.01.bb:do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 3344 tasks of which 2611 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
  /opt/pkg/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-xlnx_2017.01.bb:do_fetch
Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.
Summary: There were 3 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
ERROR: Failed to build project
stefano@ubuntu:~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20$ 

It seems to me that it cannot find the correct revision of u-boot-digilent
Can someone help me ?

Thank you in advance.

5 answers to this question

Hello,

In order to to recompile the Zybo Z7-20 Petalinux BSP Project for Petalinux 2017.4 I manually downloaded the uboot-digilent repository

git clone https://github.com/Digilent/u-boot-digilent.git

that downloads the complete history of the repository, so I can switch to any version.

Next, I changed into the newly cloned repository:

cd u-boot-digilent and used git checkout <COMMIT> to change to the right commit:

git checkout 42deb242f961ce317366566666cbbddfb198bc9f

copy the repository to ${TOPDIR}/../components/ext_sources/u-boot-digilent 

${TOPDIR} is a yocto variable pointing to <plnx-proj-root>/build directory

Then I configured Petalinux for building u-boot using local sources:

Run petalinux-config, and go into linux Components Selection ---> sub-menu,

For U-Boot, select u-boot () ---> and then select ext-local-src
( ) u-boot-plnx
( ) remote
(X) ext-local-src

For uboot, select External u-boot local source settings --->. Enter the path:
${TOPDIR}/../components/ext_sources/u-boot-digilent 

Build the project:

petalinux-buid

Basically i did manually what petalinux (yocto) should do automatically

but i still don't understand why i can't fetch u-boot-digilent remotely.

anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

Does anyone have an answer for this? Because, I am also getting the same error. Whatever I tried is not working. I have the Zybo Z7-20 board at my hand, but cannot have the Petalinux working.

Could anyone give some ideas how to handle this situation? I just suspect, it might be caused out of a wrong path/lacking packages on the repository.

Thanks!

@JColvin

Edited by beraicli
Mentioning related persons for this topic (I have been checking this post for the last weeks, there has not been any development, yet I am still with no answer on my side as well)

Hi @beraicli,

My understanding as I have been told second hand is that there was some sort of issue in the meta-xilinx-bsp yocto layer, but that has been apparently been fixed in newer versions of the tools (though I don't know how new you need to go), nor do I know what the exact issue is/was.

If you are on a older version of the tools, you will need to manually download the u-boot-digilent as described in the post directly above yours since fetching it remotely is not working for some reason.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

First of all, thanks for your quick reply. I saw that especially for Zybo Z7-20 for the specific BSP on Digilent repositories it needs Vivado 2017.4 and Petalinux 2017.4. I have these. Plus, I tried building a different BSP on Petalinux Download page and it is also a success.

Hopefully, I tried the answer at the bottom of this page: https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/22300-petalinux-build-build-getting-failed-for-cora-z7/ and it worked, but till some point. Yet, I am having this error now:

| *** Can't find default configuration "arch/../configs/zynq_zyboz7_defconfig"!

Is there a straightforward way I can fix this as well?

Hi @JColvin,

I started from scratch and applied the fix mentioned above in the post. It didn't give the error it was giving earlier, but then a different one pops up. This one was about FSBL. I checked youtube and found "Petalinux 101 Getting Started Quickly" video. Then, applied ready sstate-cache on Xilinx website (under Petalinux 2017.4) by changing related stuff on petalinux-config. Now, it works.

Thank you again