Using USB over CAT5/6 extender with JTAG-HS3 or HS2

wdecook

Question

Has anybody used one of the USB over CAT5/6 extenders with a Digilent JTAG programming cable? Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Extender-CAT5E-Connection-150ft/dp/B003L14ZTC/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31ZZNQ4zSSL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=09HF94P09QH47PC9MR0D

We're trying to program devices that are either in different rooms or across the room from the programming computer. The main concern is that USB may not be able to supply enough power for both adapters and the JTAG device.

Thanks, Will

2 answers to this question

Hi Will,

I'm not sure how it would work out for programming an FPGA, I'll ask some of applications engineers about it, but I do know that we have done a project at Digilent that was successfully able to power and receive I/O signals from an external button with a microcontroller using a 10 foot Ethernet cable, so I presume I wouldn't be impossible, but I'm not sure how far you can go before the signal drive strength drops too low.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Will,

We can't say for sure if it will work, since it violates the USB spec. It depends on the length of the cable (how much resistance) and how tolerable the devices are. I think it will work, but you should let us know if it does if you end up trying this out!

Tommy

Archived