Can Zynq 7000 Development Board(ZYBO) be used with Gnu Radio Companion (GRC) on Win10?

Brayam Mamani

Question

I want to use GNU RADIO to design an RF signal receiving circuit. For this I plan to use an FPGA card in the baseband section of the circuit (to handle the decimation and, if possible, to convert analogue to digital signal).
My doubt lies in knowing if it is possible to communicate the FPGA card to the GNU RADIO application directly or if necessary from an external program. At this point it should be noted that I work in windows 10.

I'm quite new on the subject of FPGA and GNU RADIO.
I would really be grateful if you help me with this problem.
The card is a Xilinx Zynq-7000 Developmet Board, the Z-7010, its features are best seen on the next page https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/programmable-logic/zybo/reference-manual

Suggestions for design changes are welcome. In advance thanks for the help.

2 answers to this question

Hi @Brayam Mamani,

We have not work with GNU RADIO. I have found some information on the gnuradio wiki here and a project dealing with software defined radio on hackster.io here that might be helpful.  I found a paper here that should be helpful as well. Hopefully one of the more experienced community members will have some input on this topic.

best regards,

Jon

Hi,

this leads to the right direction (but not exactly the same board and note the OBSOLETE OBSOLETE OBSOLETE header
https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Zynq

>> My doubt lies in knowing if it is possible to communicate the FPGA card to the GNU RADIO application directly or if necessary from an external program
apparently they run the application on the chip, with FPGA "accelerators" as kernel modules. Once you're there, streaming the data e.g. via Ethernet "should" be straightforward (but never assume anything...)

>> I'm quite new on the subject of FPGA
Just a word of warning on Zynq, don't underestimate the complexity: Besides FPGA it's serious embedded ARM, and you can't really choose, in what order you run into which wall... As long as I stick to the well-trodden paths, this remains invisible but be prepared to invest working weeks (possibly months) into the platform. That said, if you have the time and energy, it's definitely worth it.

Archived