Trouble connecting ChipKit MX4 Pro to PC

jbirriel84

Question

I'm having trouble with my laptop seeing my board (ChipKit MX4 Pro). I bought the MRK Line kit and i was just trying to upload a simple LED blink program to verify but the program did not upload. I would like to know which software i have to use to write a program to the board. I have the MPIDE and also downloaded the MPLAB X, but I can't get to upload a program on the board. I'm using the USB cable supplied with the board and I am connecting to the port that says Debug, and yes I turned the switch to the on position. If I could get some guidance it'll be greatly appreciated and thanks for your time.

5 answers to this question

Hi jbirriel84,

I personally think MPIDE is a little easier to use as a program (in my mind), but I'll explain both. To use MPIDE, you would need to connect the USB cable to the UART port and make sure that the jumper block for where the power is coming from (J12) is connected to "URT". MPLAB on the other hand would use the Debug port that you have and would need the jumper block on the "DBG" position.

More information on programming either way can be found in it's most up to date reference manual here in our wiki.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for the quick reply JColvin I did it. It is recognizing that I have the board connected but when uploading the program it is taking a long time using MPIDE. So I tried to verify sketch and I get this C:\Program Files (x86)\mpide-0150\hardware\pic32\compiler\pic32-tools\bin\pic32-ar: cpp-startup.S.o: No such file or directory. Does that might have something to do with it?

I get this message when uploading is complete  Binary sketch size: 6660 bytes (of a 520192 byte maximum)
                                                                      avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x00f8
                                                                              0x00 != 0xff
                                                                      avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Not sure what this is. Thanks for the help.

Archived