Vivado Issue (License)

Tunai Porto

Question

Greetings Digilent Staff, 

I recently bought a Basys 3 to use in a VLSI Desgin course of my university (Cal State Long Beach). 

I did all the steps on the video tutorial you guys posted on youtube to upload my first project

to the board. However, in the "synthesis" part, I keep getting this error, even though I already acquired
a license: 

"[Common 17-345] A valid license was not found for feature 'Synthesis' and/or device 'xc7a35t'. Please run the Vivado License Manager for assistance in determining
which features and devices are licensed for your system."

What should I do? Since I am only doing simple projects, I did not think it would be necessary to buy the
$10 key for the Vivado software. Should I do that? What can I do now? 

Thank you very much for your attention.  

7 answers to this question

Are you running Windows 10? I had no success at getting Vivado to license for Windows 10, and had to revert back to Windows 8.1. It might not be always the case - it might just have been me doing something stupid...

You can start up the Xilinx License Manager application and view the license status, a screenshot of that will help with debugging .

Well your licenses look good to me... 

I've looked on the Xilinx forums, and found this:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/General-Technical-Discussion/status-of-windows-10-amp-Vivado-2015-2/td-p/645942

So it looks like it can run on Windows 10, but I just don't know how!

This thread hints that you might need to install while running Windows 10, rather than upgrading.the OS underneath an already installed Vivado:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Windows-10/td-p/645652/page/2

I'm be really interested to hear how you get on - I want to try Windows 10, but am a bit worried at the moment that it will break all my tools....

Hamster and Tunai Porto,

I found a fix that has been working for people on the Xilinx forums. There are two ways to fix this, rename C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.2\tps\win64\xvcredist.exe to anything else, or add the line "set XIL_PA_NO_REDIST_CHECK=1" after line 115 in C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.2\bin\loader.bat.

Please let me know if this ends up working for you guys.

Kaitlyn

I tought the easiest way to solve the problem was downgrading to W8.1, wich I did. Anyhow, the problem remains the same. I will try to run the solution Kaitlyn suggested
and will let you guys know the result. Thank you for your help. 

Update: tried both suggested solutions, still get the "valid license" error. I will try to get another License, bacause now I am not event in the wrong Operational System (downgraded to windows 8.1 and reinstalled the software), so I should not be facing such problems.. 

Update 2: It is working! I obtained a new license. Instead of the first Certificate Based license (.lic), I got an Activation Based (.xml) one. It worked. So, the steps I went thorugh to solve the problem were: 
1. Downgraded W10 to W8.1 (takes only 20 minutes, there is a pre-built function to do it that will be available for 1 month after the upgrade to W10). 
2. Got a new (Activation based) license.

Thank you very much to all the users that helped me. 

Hamster and Tunai Porto,

I found a fix that has been working for people on the Xilinx forums. There are two ways to fix this, rename C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.2\tps\win64\xvcredist.exe to anything else, or add the line "set XIL_PA_NO_REDIST_CHECK=1" after line 115 in C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.2\bin\loader.bat.

Please let me know if this ends up working for you guys.

Kaitlyn

I had that problem recently - every time I opened Vivado it tried to run the Microsoft Visual C Runtime installer. Removing that file fixed it.

(Just adding a note here in case somebody searches the forum because of having that problem).

Archived