HDMI in for ARTY-Z7-20

Mahesh

Question

22 answers to this question

@Mahesh

I don't see anything obvious that you are doing wrong. The project that that error message is referring to is the hdmi_in_wrapper_hw_platform_0 project, seen in the first screenshot below. This directory was missing from a previous release, but is there in the 2016.4-4 release. The second screenshot shows the Import Projects screen. All three of the subdirectories of the sdk/ folder should show up and be checked when importing.

image.thumb.png.d614f213aaa2f5da87c7e975ca5440a7.png

image.png.a6c9f22b9bca4edd03d2918901f6644f.png

Thanks,

Arthur

Hi @Mahesh,

I do not believe its a licensing issue. You would have errors mentioning licensing. I found a xilinx thread that has similar errors here. Please attach the sdk log. Also please restore the setting to default. Go to windows->preferences and click on restore defaults. Then program the fpga and then run the application by right clicking on hdmi-in and selecting run as->launch on hardware(system debugger). Did this resolve the issues?

thank you,

Jon

@jpeyron,

Yes i am able to do all the steps what you have mentioned. I have launched the files as Run-as-> launch on hardware (system debugger). Once its dumped onto the hardware mentioned errors are coming in the SDK log.

OS - Windows 10 (64 bit)

SDK - 2016.4

is there any licensing related issue?

image.thumb.png.e47706bb7e0496cca7d7e1c1ed7b2665.png

image.thumb.png.c3d4522a6a8759aec786199692a9ca8a.png

Hi @Mahesh,

To clarify you are able to use the project from the sdk 2016.4 and you are able to load the project into vivado 2016.4. You are able to export the hardware including the bitstream and launch sdk from vivado. Once sdk opened you are able to import the hdmi-in and hdmi-in-bsp with out any errors. you are then able to program the fpga but get an error when you go to run the application. Could you close sdk and delet the vivado sdk folder. Then re-export harwafre including bitstream anf launch sdk. Then import hdmi-in and hdmi-in-bsp. Please attach  a screen shot of what your sdk looks lika at this point .If there are errors. re-generate bsp source code. Then program fpga. Next right click on the hdmi-in application. Select run-as->launch on hardware(system debugger). What os are you running? 

thank you,

Jon

Hi @Mahesh,

You need to have the mode jumper JP4 set to JTAG on the Arty-Z7-20.  Check and make sure that your usb cable can send data as well as power. One why is to check the usb cable is to connect a smart phone to your pc using the cable and see if you can transfer pictures.

cheers,

Jon

@jpeyron,

Great i have progressed little further. I am able to build the project on SDK as well but i faced this problem while loading the .elf onto the hardware.

1st time:

10:59:34 ERROR    : Unexpected error while launching program.
com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.TMException: Error downloading program to target: 
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.loadProgram(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:865)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.debugApplication(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:746)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.launch(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:311)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.ui.XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.launch(XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.java:31)
    at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:885)
    at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:739)
    at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin.buildAndLaunch(DebugUIPlugin.java:1039)
    at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$8.run(DebugUIPlugin.java:1256)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

2nd time:
11:00:17 ERROR    : Unexpected error while launching program.
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error in Resetting Target

Could not stop the processor after reset

at com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.internal.TM.doProcessorReset(TM.java:1011)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.runTargetSetup(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:534)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.debugApplication(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:701)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.launch(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:311)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.ui.XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.launch(XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.java:31)

Is it necessary to connect the JTAG during loading?  Debug configuration looks like this/

image.thumb.png.469c94036542ea012c53ce0be9234254.png

Hi @Mahesh,

Lets start fresh by re-downloading the most recent release of the Arty-Z7-20 HDMI-IN . I would unzip the project and put it on your desktop. Next click into the HDMI-IN->proj and copy the path to this folder. Next lets complete the project from vivado. First open Vivado 2016.4. Once open type in the tcl console cd  [then paste the path to the proj folder] and hit enter. Then type source ./ and select create project tcl. Once the project has loaded you should only need to generate a bitstream. Once the bitstream is generated export the hardware including the bitstream and launch sdk. Once sdk is launch import the hdmi-in and hdmi-in bsp. If there are errors re-gererate the source as shown above. Then you should be able to program the fpga and then run the application by right clicking on the HDMI-in application and clicking run as->launch on hardware(system debugger). 

Next lets complete the project from just sdk. First open SDK 2016.4 and select the workspace by selecting browse and selecting the SDK folder in the HDMI-IN project folder that you put on the desktop. Then select import and import the HDMI-IN and HDMI-in bsp. If there is any errors re-generate bsp sources as shown above. Then you should be able to complete the project by programming the fpga and then run the application by right clicking on the HDMI-in application and clicking run as->launch on hardware(system debugger). 

Please take screen shots if you have any issues. Also include any errors and the sdk log text as well.

thank you,

Jon

@artvvb

As mentioned earlier, hardware platform is not importing on to the SDK because there is no file in the project path. But in your image its showing. 

If i build BSP error is coming and please see

image.thumb.png.b878edca0299312d1565aa5480bb3e57.png

In the Vivado, there is no top module for the block design. I cannot build the same here.

image.png.38536a426b3563e979bc6398676e7c87.png

@artvvb

As shown in the trailer images, in the 2014.4 release this hardware platform is missing in the SDK folder and also i am unable to generate it from Vivado flow.

Capture1.JPG.66741ecd197ab11a02bfa9ce70c8b1ec.JPG

But in 2014.3 released version, i generated the hardware platform and imported that into SDK. That time below mentioned error was encountering at SDK platform.

Capture.JPG.72b0f757bb6797038f9a7087422ff980.JPG

Please help me to resolve the issues so that i can move ahead to next step.

6 hours ago, artvvb said:

@Mahesh

I don't see anything obvious that you are doing wrong. The project that that error message is referring to is the hdmi_in_wrapper_hw_platform_0 project, seen in the first screenshot below. This directory was missing from a previous release, but is there in the 2016.4-4 release. The second screenshot shows the Import Projects screen. All three of the subdirectories of the sdk/ folder should show up and be checked when importing.

image.thumb.png.d614f213aaa2f5da87c7e975ca5440a7.png

image.png.a6c9f22b9bca4edd03d2918901f6644f.png

Thanks,

Arthur

On 3/9/2018 at 10:55 PM, artvvb said:

@Mahesh

You are correct that you do not need to export to open in SDK, I am just trying to get a feel for the route you ware trying to take. The release archive contains the stuff for two different workflows. First, importing the SDK application project, BSP, and hardware platform directly in SDK. Second, going through Vivado to generate the hardware platform, then exporting it to SDK and importing the BSP and application project.

Using the SDK-only flow, you should confirm that all three projects (hdmi_in, hdmi_in_bsp, and the hw_platform) are imported. There might be something weird going on with the create_project script where it messes with the /sdk folder, though I have not confirmed this - I'd suggest you try this flow with a clean download of the v2016.4-4 release archive.

I am not clear on what is going wrong with the Vivado flow, I'll look into it and update here.

(FYI, Username "Arthur" is a different person, my username is "Artvvb". This is relevant since the '@' feature sends a notification.)

Thanks,

Arthur

@artvvb

I wanted to understand the full flow of HW (vivado flow) and software (SDK flow). Just i am opening the project and building the projects which are dowloaded from github. 

as per the suggestion i have opened the SDK and trying to import the SDK project and encountered the below problem. I have kept different paths for workspace and project path.

Workspace path:

C:\ProjectWorkspace\Arty-Z7\SDK_workspace

Project path:

C:\ProjectWorkspace\Arty-Z7\Arty-Z7-20-hdmi-in-2016.4-4\sdk

As soon as SDK opens i am giving the above mentioned workspace and importing the project from above mentioned path. Am i doing something wrong here? Unable to understand the issue here

image.thumb.png.250178f6f5e27a764281db248d12fc80.png

@Mahesh

You are correct that you do not need to export to open in SDK, I am just trying to get a feel for the route you ware trying to take. The release archive contains the stuff for two different workflows. First, importing the SDK application project, BSP, and hardware platform directly in SDK. Second, going through Vivado to generate the hardware platform, then exporting it to SDK and importing the BSP and application project.

Using the SDK-only flow, you should confirm that all three projects (hdmi_in, hdmi_in_bsp, and the hw_platform) are imported. There might be something weird going on with the create_project script where it messes with the /sdk folder, though I have not confirmed this - I'd suggest you try this flow with a clean download of the v2016.4-4 release archive.

I am not clear on what is going wrong with the Vivado flow, I'll look into it and update here.

(FYI, Username "Arthur" is a different person, my username is "Artvvb". This is relevant since the '@' feature sends a notification.)

Thanks,

Arthur

11 hours ago, artvvb said:

@Mahesh

I just uploaded a release to Github with the sdk hardware platform in it.

Looking back through this thread, I'd like to confirm, you were able to generate a bitstream, but then saw the "missing hardware platform" error when you launched SDK? Did you launch SDK directly, or did you, in Vivado, use File>Export>Export Hardware followed by File>Launch SDK?

EDIT: Let me also note that you will need to right click on the BSP and select "Re-generate BSP sources" when you get the SDK projects imported.

Sorry for the delay,

Arthur

@Arthur

I have launched the SDK directly and give the SDK project path. Is it a right path or do i need to export? I thought not export to SDK since i have not done any changes in the hardware configuration. 

@Mahesh

I just uploaded a release to Github with the sdk hardware platform in it.

Looking back through this thread, I'd like to confirm, you were able to generate a bitstream, but then saw the "missing hardware platform" error when you launched SDK? Did you launch SDK directly, or did you, in Vivado, use File>Export>Export Hardware followed by File>Launch SDK?

EDIT: Let me also note that you will need to right click on the BSP and select "Re-generate BSP sources" when you get the SDK projects imported.

Sorry for the delay,

Arthur

On 3/2/2018 at 1:22 AM, JColvin said:

Hi @Mahesh,

We took a look at the project again and found another issue with the released project where some of the SDK material wasn't set up correctly. We'll get a verified project that does more than just the bitstream generation soon.

Thank you for your patience,
JColvin

Hello JColvin,

Any update on this?

Hi @Mahesh,

We took a look at the project again and found another issue with the released project where some of the SDK material wasn't set up correctly. We'll get a verified project that does more than just the bitstream generation soon.

JColvin

Hello JColvin,

Top module was missing in the project. I have downloaded Arty-Z7-20-hdmi-in-2016.4-3.zip this version. Able to rebuild the project on Vivado and able to dump on to the hardware as well. I hope HDMI cable connectivity is not required to get the below screenshot.

image.png.7670bef9fe85ab9f945c2ca09ce7301c.png

As per my understanding, now I need to open the SDK tool and build the SDK project using generated hardware file but I am getting the below error in the SDK tool

image.thumb.png.8f49c4aa8ce528146c85da726024cee5.png

Hello @Mahesh,

Presuming you got the project from the Arty Z7-20 HDMI-in release page on our GitHub (https://github.com/Digilent/Arty-Z7-20-hdmi-in/releases) it appears that one of the needed folders as part of the release is missing. We will get the correct version of the project re-uploaded sometime today or tomorrow; I'll let you know when this happens.

JColvin

Archived