All Needed Software Components Included in Download, Please?

House de Kris

Question

I recently received the Analog Discovery 2 I purchased and was enthusiastic about firing that thing up. Put the Waveforms installation exe onto the computer I wanted to use, and installed it. Right off the bat it tells me some needed component was missing and that it would have to hunt for this someplace other than the installation exe. DARN! There went my plans for wasting a weekend playing with electronic gear. I have finally, painfully, got it to work, but jeepers, would it be possible to include all the components needed in the download from the get-go?

Now, why is this painful? The target computer isn't connected to the Internet. In my opinion, the best way to avoid virus contamination is to not be connected to the source of sickness - the Internet. In fact, I don't have Internet in my home. Had to drag the computer (and AD2) to work to use their access. If the missing Visual Basic component had been included, it would have installed quite easily.

My suggestion is simple, if something is needed for the install, PLEASE include it in the software download.

4 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply, and the link to a thread of similar ilk. It is good to know that perhaps one other user on the planet doesn't have their computer hooked to the Internet. I did notice one thing a bit odd when reading the linked thread, they were talking about a needed Visual C++ component, whereas I'm purdy durn sure mine asked for a Visual Basic component. At any rate, it is/was just a suggestion.

I spent the evening playing with the AD2 in loopback mode clicking all the buttons and having a great time. I now eagerly await going home this evening and putting it on the bench to do actual work. I'm hoping for great things with the network analyzer, the reason for this purchase.

Tanks for listening!

HdK

Archived