There is unconnected pins in Nexys Video Schematic

JongSeob

Question

Hello,

I'm working for minimalizing Nexys Video to small board that has only video processing feature.

And, I have found some unconnected pins with other pins in Nexys Video Schematic.

Those pins are this:

- HDMI_RX_PEEN in Sheet 6

HDMI_RX_PEEN.thumb.png.b88f8f2da7b653174494ef78b6955c58.png

- PROG_* pins on BANK 14 in Sheet 10

5a33873572713_PROG_pins.thumb.png.affc95cbbec2ccbaa163f66091241567.png

- T3 pin on BANK 34 in Sheet 11

5a338811e924f_T3Pin.png.e44c1dd80b2675a97fe377b1d4165cb9.png

Are these pins black box? (especially PROG pins)

If I ignore these pins, will there be a problem?

6 answers to this question

Hi @JongSeob,

HDMI_RX_PEEN is not routed. We didn't want the feature in our board and it was a mistake that the pin remained named. If you want to use it, you should check the specification AD8195.

T3 is also not connected and for the PROG pins, they are part of the programming solution that we implement on our board and is a proprietary design. It should be where is the blank page in the schematic. That is the USB interface with the board. You should be able to find another programming solution for your board. You can ignore those pins 

Best regards,

Bianca

On 2017. 12. 15. at 6:49 PM, Bianca said:

Hi @JongSeob,

HDMI_RX_PEEN is not routed. We didn't want the feature in our board and it was a mistake that the pin remained named. If you want to use it, you should check the specification AD8195.

T3 is also not connected and for the PROG pins, they are part of the programming solution that we implement on our board and is a proprietary design. It should be where is the blank page in the schematic. That is the USB interface with the board. You should be able to find another programming solution for your board. You can ignore those pins 

Best regards,

Bianca

Sorry for my late reply.

Thanks so much. Your answer is very helpful to me.

And I have a simple question.

You said PROG pins are USB interface with the board.

Does USB interface means USB programming pin near UART pin?

I'm planning to remove UART prog pin and use JTAG for FPGA programming.

If my expectation is right, I will not have to find another programming solution for board.

Hi @JongSeob,

Sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed your message. 

So, the PROG pins are for the DPTI interface that is used to send data between the PC and the FPGA. We have documented this on Adept SDK https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/adept/start?redirect=1.You'll find the documentation on the ZIP where the installer is included.  We also have an AXI DPTI core published here: https://github.com/Digilent/vivado-library/tree/master/ip/AXI_DPTI_1.0

Best regards,

Bianca

12 hours ago, Bianca said:

Hi @JongSeob,

Sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed your message. 

So, the PROG pins are for the DPTI interface that is used to send data between the PC and the FPGA. We have documented this on Adept SDK https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/adept/start?redirect=1.You'll find the documentation on the ZIP where the installer is included.  We also have an AXI DPTI core published here: https://github.com/Digilent/vivado-library/tree/master/ip/AXI_DPTI_1.0

Best regards,

Bianca

Thanks for replying my questions.

I understood that if i remove USB interface for FPGA programming, I have to use Adept SDK for FPGA programming. Is it right?

Can't Vivado recognize JTAG cable?

And I have additional questions about Nexys Video Schematic.

The images below are captured on pages 15 and 12, respectively.

First image is a part of regulators page.

Is not the line directed by arrow short electrically (connected by 0 ohm register) ?

Second image is a part of FPGA Power page

I don't use DDR RAM, so i connected the pins that were connected to the voltage to the ground.

Do it have any problem?

Question.thumb.png.14cbc9cb70246bd78bcbcbcda78a2452.png

Hi @JongSeob,

If you look in the datasheet of the power supply it explains that there are multiple ways to set the oscillator freq and the synq threshold. Regarding the pins in the power page, you should check the FPGA Datasheet for more details about designing it. It has a lot of details that will help you.

As for the programming pins. DPTI stands for Digital Parallel Transfer Interface which is different from the JTAG. although it uses the FTDI as interface. What we have is an IP for the FPGA and a PC program that activates the DPTI from the FTDI and makes the connection between the PC and the board. The JTAG interface for our boards and the firmware are proprietary. You can't have JTAG without those. Unless you make your own JTAG solution, you won't be able to connect to Vivado though JTAG. The schematic for Nexys Video is published. If you want details about what you should include or no into your schematic and for future references you can use the datasheets of the components since all the parts are listed. 

Best regards,

Bianca

On 2018. 1. 11. at 6:25 PM, Bianca said:

Hi @JongSeob,

If you look in the datasheet of the power supply it explains that there are multiple ways to set the oscillator freq and the synq threshold. Regarding the pins in the power page, you should check the FPGA Datasheet for more details about designing it. It has a lot of details that will help you.

As for the programming pins. DPTI stands for Digital Parallel Transfer Interface which is different from the JTAG. although it uses the FTDI as interface. What we have is an IP for the FPGA and a PC program that activates the DPTI from the FTDI and makes the connection between the PC and the board. The JTAG interface for our boards and the firmware are proprietary. You can't have JTAG without those. Unless you make your own JTAG solution, you won't be able to connect to Vivado though JTAG. The schematic for Nexys Video is published. If you want details about what you should include or no into your schematic and for future references you can use the datasheets of the components since all the parts are listed. 

Best regards,

Bianca

Thanks for your help.

I'm in process to contact to pcb design company now.

And I need to make sure that I understand the intentions of the schematic maker.

I used Orcad Capture for drawing the schematic.

On Nexys Video schematic two lines are named as HDMI_RX_SCL, HDMI_RX_SDA and its connected to other page's line.

schematic.png.9860c0d1551bcc41c7ba08ac47ae4a4d.png

So, I used page-off connector of Orcad Capture.

Is this correct design?

my_design.png.5a5b5010440260044b63ad916c63e344.png

On Nexys Video schematic many pins are drawn like this.

Currently I have expressed these using page-off connect or VCC&GND sign.

I want to know if I understand it correctly.

schematic2.PNG.1c0dce2a2cc706c89510de35a7e78077.PNG

Archived