Configuration to Capture 3s of UART Traffic w/ AD2

GeorgeIoak

Question

I have an Analog 2 and am capturing some UART traffic, specifically some MODBUS ASCIII data. I'm trying to find a good way to capture the data and then analyze the captures. The difficulty I'm facing is that in order to get reliable captures the sample rate has to be increased. While this gives good results on screen the exported data contains many repeated rows of data.

Is there a way to export the unique data only? The BAUD rate is 57,600 and I need to capture about 3 seconds of traffic. I've tried many different settings but I struggle between seeing a "Samples were lost! Reduce Sample Rate" and then if I reduce the sample rate too much I seem to get "Framing Errors".

Can someone please help me determine what configuration settings would be best to use to capture this data so I can analyze it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

George

5 answers to this question

Hi Jon,

Thanks for pinging the right person. To be honest I had to give up trying to get reliable data from the AD2. I pulled out my old USBeeZX and on my 2nd try I got the kind of output I was expecting. The setup between the 2 units was exactly the same, in fact I just clipped the USBeeZX leads to the AD2 connection.

I'm hoping that I'm just missing something in Waveforms since I had such high hopes for the AD2

Regards,

George

FluoSens_E1D1-E1D2-E2D2_2-2Measurements.csv

Hello,

With AD2 Logic Analyzer you should be able to Record at 1-2MHz.
To improve the record rate in record configuration uncheck noise and WaveForms/Settings/Device Manager select the 4th configuration to have 16k samples device buffer/ fifo.
You could also use the Protocol interface UART/ RX function which only stores the decoded transition bits.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I changed to configuration 4, as well as tried several different rates. I also used the UART protocol interface. The protocol I am capturing is MODBUS ASCII and each packet starts with ":" and ends with CR/LF. No matter what I tried when I inspected the captured I would find several incomplete packets. With the USBEE I was able to capture all complete packets so I'm still unsure what could be set incorrectly with the AD2

I also ran into issue using the Logic Analyzer in Record mode. IMHO, this mode is very limited in terms of usability. I often get nonsense data when retrieving data in this mode. Also,   recording at 1-2MHz seems to be pretty slow to be useful with SPI and even i2c communication. My 4-channel Saleae does a much better job in recording data and reliably decode this info although having a much lower spec in terms of hardware. I think this is something that can be fixed in the software side. Having the capability to record data and reliably decode them for a long period of time is really critical in debugging firmware issue. 

Archived