Compatibility question (BASYS 2 with pmods)

Arthur Ruiz

I am a senior design student doing a group project.  We were looking into using one of the team member's BASYS 2 FPGA board for our project.  We're looking at purchasing pmods for sensor capabilities and wasn't sure if they would be compatible with our BASYS 2 board.  The sensors we were looking at purchasing are, Pmod CDC1: Capacitative Input Buttons, Pmod BT2: Bluetooth Interface, Pmod TMP3: Temperature Sensor, and Pmod GYRO: 3-axis Digital Gyroscope.  Would all the Pmods be able to connect to the board at once?  Will the board be powerful enough to handle all 4 pmods?  I'm sorry for the trivial questions will take any advice.

Hi Arthur,

You can run all 4 pmods at the same time on the Basys 2 using ISE with Verilog/VHDL. If you were interested in using a soft core processor you should look into our Basys 3 (here) using Microblaze and our Pmod IP cores (here). We currently have IP cores for PmodTMP3, PmodBT2 and the PmodGYRO. Currently we do not have a IP core for the PmodCDC1. Hope this helps!

cheers,

Jon

Hi Arthur,

If you are going to stay with the Basys 2.  Here is a link to the PmodBT2 resource page, here is a link for the PmodCDC1 and here is a link for the PmodGYRO that has an example for the Nexys 3 that shouldn't be to hard to make work with the Basys 2. Biggest change should be the ucf needs to be changed to the basys 2. 

cheers,

Jon

• 1 month later...

Dear Jon

I'm in almost the same situation as Arthur. I'm using the basys 2 for a school project with the GYRO pMod. I downloaded this example that you suggested.I am having trouble configuring it to my Basys 2, Mainly with header pin connections, the Nexys 3 has 12 pin banks while the basys 2 has 6 pin Banks. Any advice is very appreciated. 

Thank you

M. Q. Agha

Hi @Mqasimag,

Its been a while since i have used the basys 2 and thought it had the 12 pin Pmod ports but they are 6 pin. In this case you would need to use a bread board with something like the 2x6 Pin to Dual 6-pin Cable here. @Arthur Ruiz the basys 2 can handle the running all of the pmods at once but will not be able to connect all 4 physically to the board due to the limited I/O pins.

Archived