ARTYA7100T suddenly stopped being detected by computer.

Vasant Joseph

Question

Posted (edited)

Arty A7 100 T (xc7a100tcsg324-1) FPGA board was working fine until it suddenly stopped working and stopped being detected by PC.

The power and program lights are still blinking but the board is not being detected by Vivado Hardware Manager. Tried changing laptops, micro USB cables, and even tried with Digilent Adept software.

Still the issue persists.

So now, was trying to look into the voltage parameters of the board- VCCINT, VCCAUX, VCCO etc. Found a schematic for A7 e2 version in which IC1G and IC1H are shown.
Link to schematic: https://digilent.com/reference/_media/programmable-logic/arty-a7/arty-a7-e2-sch.pdf

But couldn't find these in the actual board for finding VCCAUX and VCCCO pins from them.

Could you explain where to find them or provide some insights about how to check the same?

Reference manual link: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/arty-a7/reference-manual.

Edit:
We probed the following pins and got the following values:

Voltage Readings:

Vccint = 1.10 V
Vccaux = 0 V
Vcco_0 = 3.3 V
Vcco_14 = 3.3 V
init_b = 3.3 V
prog_b = 3.3 V

Capacitors across the Vccaux in continuity mode(power OFF) of Multimeter was giving beep sound. Could this be an issue as we are also getting 0 V for  Vccaux instead of 1.8 V.

Edited by Vasant Joseph

3 answers to this question

Hi @Vasant Joseph,

The VCCO_0 input on IC1G is to power bank 0 (the Config block portion of the FPGA, IC1F) on page 6.

The 1.8 V rail that Vaux receives also goes to the onboard FT2232 chip as part of it's needed power supply. If this rail is shorted somehow (I'm not certain where or why this rail might have shorted, as it seems unlikely that the 1.8 V rail from the regulator is dead since everything else on the board seems to be working from what you described), then the FTDI interface would not be operational which would explain why the board is not being detected over JTAG.
It won't be particularly helpful in this instance, but the tiny C153/C155 capacitors on the underside of the board are also connected to the Vcc 1.8 V rail.

If you purchased the board directly from Digilent, please send me a private message with the following details to start the RMA process:

• Order Number
  • Purchase Date
  • Serial number of the device (located on the underside of the board on the barcode sticker starting the letter "D")
  • preferred email address for further contact (such as from the Sales team to confirm shipping address which I don't have access to)

If you instead purchased the board from a distributor (Mouser, Newark, Amazon, etc.) you will need to contact them to determine their own RMA process. They will work with Digilent separately as needed, but feel free to use this thread as evidence as having worked with a Digilent engineer.  

Thanks,
JColvin

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 4:43 AM, JColvin said:

Hi @Vasant Joseph,

The VCCO_0 input on IC1G is to power bank 0 (the Config block portion of the FPGA, IC1F) on page 6.

The 1.8 V rail that Vaux receives also goes to the onboard FT2232 chip as part of it's needed power supply. If this rail is shorted somehow (I'm not certain where or why this rail might have shorted, as it seems unlikely that the 1.8 V rail from the regulator is dead since everything else on the board seems to be working from what you described), then the FTDI interface would not be operational which would explain why the board is not being detected over JTAG.
It won't be particularly helpful in this instance, but the tiny C153/C155 capacitors on the underside of the board are also connected to the Vcc 1.8 V rail.

If you purchased the board directly from Digilent, please send me a private message with the following details to start the RMA process:

• Order Number
  • Purchase Date
  • Serial number of the device (located on the underside of the board on the barcode sticker starting the letter "D")
  • preferred email address for further contact (such as from the Sales team to confirm shipping address which I don't have access to)

If you instead purchased the board from a distributor (Mouser, Newark, Amazon, etc.) you will need to contact them to determine their own RMA process. They will work with Digilent separately as needed, but feel free to use this thread as evidence as having worked with a Digilent engineer.  

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin

I have sent you the details via direct message to do the RMA process. Could you please check it out?

Edited by Vasant Joseph