Waveforms stalls

Al B.

Question

Waveforms occasionally stops updating the display.  Am testing with a simple loop from a Wavegen output to a scope input with single channel display.  Have observed this with Version 3.21.3 and Version 3.22.2 on two ADP3450s using both NET and USB connections run separately or simultaneously.  To restart requires changing an oscilloscope setting, changing a Wavegen setting does not fix the problem.  The freezes appear random, sometimes hours between occurrences, though SN DB9D84E stops more often, both are stopping.  If run overnight at least one has stopped by the next morning.

The ADP3450 cases are designed to stack, but the heat build up between units is high and may be causing communication failures, which I have not seen after unstacking and inverting the units which appears to keep them from getting as hot.

Am using a Windows 10 laptop to run Waveforms.  The ADP3450 firmware is h342, serial numbers BD9D7DF and DB9D84E.  I will try testing overnight with another laptop.

Any help or information on this?

8 answers to this question

Hi @Al B.,

I have moved your question to a more appropriate section of the Forum where the engineer with more experience with the ADP3x50 hardware (and the WaveForms developer) will be able to see and respond to your question.

I imagine you have already attempted this, but since you mentioned keeping them unstacked and inverted seems to help, you might try engaging the kickstands on the two devices for better airflow underneath. With the two devices I have, the top one is still sits reasonably securely on the bottom device (though of course with continual stacking, eventually one will slip off when all of the kickstands are opened).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @Al B.

As every device, ADP3X50 was tested for temperature margins in heat chamber for prolong use.
For this device the temperature is measured in the hottest IC. Newer software version has a 'Temp Limit' option with 85*C default setting, the spec for this IC. High ambient temperature, blocked air vents... could heat up the device.
What temperature do you reaches when stacked ? 
Do you get any error message from the application ?
When the Reconnect option is enabled it tries to automatically reconnect and resume operation, hiding the message. You could try to disable this option and leave the Supplies tool in front with system monitor group open, so if an error occurs the last temperature reading remains visible.

image.png 
image.png

Posted (edited)

No error messages are coming up, just the Waveforms oscilloscope display stops updating, sometimes it runs for over an hour, but usually halts in a few minutes.  I previously tried a faster laptop with the same results.

The waveforms scope is in auto trigger and the display is not updating until an oscilloscope GUI control such as channel enable is used.  The Ethernet is running over 50Mbps with both units running.  When one unit stopped (B9D84E update halted in this case) the baud rate showed 58 Mbps, indicating the unit is still streaming the data.  Restarting the halted display dropped the baud back to about 52 Mbps.

Am running two instances of Waveforms with two ADP3450s.  Am testing with a simple Wavegen sine wave cross looped to CH1 input of the other unit.  The only problem indication is that the auto-triggered oscilloscope display stops updating.  Almost always it is serial number B9D84E that halts, but the other unit has also halted, sometimes both units are found halted but the sample time also stops showing they did not halt simultaneously. 

I can ping both when halted so the ADP3450s appear to be alive and do not need a power reset.  Waveform’s oscilloscope display immediately restarts if a scope control is used. Wavegen or power supply GUI inputs do not restart the oscilloscope display.

Toggling the Wavegen feed to the stopped oscilloscope application changed the “Trig’d” indicator to “Armed” but did not restart the display update.

As per temperature the lower unit in a stack of two ADP3450s is showing 78C with a peak of 79.9C while the upper unit is 74.5C with a peak of 76.8C.  Should not be the issue.

I had previously been getting "Communication with device failed 3080 ..." but have not seen it for several days.

Need a reliable scope display.

Edited by Al B.

Hi @Al B.

Please attach or send me your workspace (without acquisition option for reduced size) so I can try to reproduce the problem. This could be a software issue, since message should be shown for communication errors, like disconnect, reset...

If you don't really need the embedded Linux features of the device, I suggest to use the Standard boot mode since this provides better performance and more features, like deep buffering and memory segmentation.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Posted (edited)

debug.pdfscopehalt4e.dwf3work

@attila

The stalling happened with a single instance of Waveforms this morning.  Toggling the Wavegen source appears to be another way to restart, though it takes a minute or so to happen.  Am currently testing with no Wavegen source, triggering on noise, to see if that stops updating.  Has not stopped yet.

dp3450dbg1.pdf

Captured another display freeze including the Trig'd to Armed when the source is stopped and restarted, follow by back to Trig'd a few minutes later.  Am now checking if it stops updating when the waveform is stopped and is triggering on noise.  

Edited by Al B.
further example