MCC USB-2416-4AO: Expandable Thermocouple and Voltage Measurement USB DAQ Device

Dongyun

Question

Hi,

I need to select the daq module for 10 Analog Inputs for pressure sensors (0-10V), 8 Analog outputs (control valves 4-20mA), 10 Digital outputs (solid state relays), and 4 thermocouples for temperature measurement. I wasn't sure if MCC USB-2416-4AO would work for this application.

Also, I am short on AO channels with USB-2416-4AO unit. In this case, can I expand the AO channels using MCC USB-1208HS-4AO: High-Speed USB DAQ Device unit? Any recommendation?

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

The USB-2416-4A0 and a USB-3104 will provide the required channels. 

The USB-3104 requires an external power supply to power the 4_20mA loop.

Grounding can be tricky depending on how the thermocouples are used. The pressure sensor power supply ground will establish the USB-2416-4AO ground. If there is more than one power supply, there is a risk of a ground loop. Also, using a grounded thermocouple, I want you to know that the bare wire end will establish another ground point. The USB-2416-4AO engages an internal resistor from the low side connected to the ground. Expect update rates around 5Hz. For software, there is C and Python programming support for Windows and Linux, or DASYLab BASIC or FULL for Windows.

On 2/16/2024 at 6:07 AM, JRys said:

The USB-2416-4A0 and a USB-3104 will provide the required channels. 

The USB-3104 requires an external power supply to power the 4_20mA loop.

Grounding can be tricky depending on how the thermocouples are used. The pressure sensor power supply ground will establish the USB-2416-4AO ground. If there is more than one power supply, there is a risk of a ground loop. Also, using a grounded thermocouple, I want you to know that the bare wire end will establish another ground point. The USB-2416-4AO engages an internal resistor from the low side connected to the ground. Expect update rates around 5Hz. For software, there is C and Python programming support for Windows and Linux, or DASYLab BASIC or FULL for Windows.

In this case, do you recommend to get a separate module for the thermocouple?

MCC USB-1608G Series: High-Speed Multifunction USB DAQ Devices - AI and DO channels

MCC USB-TEMP and TC Series: Temperature and Voltage Measurement USB DAQ Devices

USB-3104 - AO channels for current/voltage output