Is it possible to set a startup configuration for the Digilent Analog Discovery 3?

idegani

Question

Hi - I have an Analog Discovery 3 and am wondering if there is a way to load/save a startup configuration. For example, if I want the sine wave generator to output 40Hz / 1V pk-pk on W1 as soon as I plug in the device.

Right now, I need to have Waveforms software running and a configuration loaded/started in order to do this.

Thanks!

Edited by idegani

2 answers to this question

Hi @idegani,

As far as I am aware, it's not possible to have a particular configuration loaded on power up as the on-board FPGA will not maintain it's configuration once power is disconnected.

The workaround that might work for you would be to use the "Continue" option for what the device does when WaveForms is closed within the WaveForms Device Manager. As long as the device is still receiving power (either over USB or via an external supply), the device will continue to operate in whatever configuration/state it was last set in. I routinely use this when I'm testing other devices but want to limit the total USB activity and ports I am using.

image.png

There are a couple of other threads that discuss this option here:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @idegani

You could use a script/custom app based on WaveForms SDK or calls the dwfcmd command line application with the following argument:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent\WaveFormsSDK\samples\dwfcmd\dwfcmd.exe" connect analogout channel=1 enable=1 sine frequency=40Hz amplitude=0.5V start

image.png

For automation you could use Windows Task Scheduler, Create Task, Triggers/New Custom, Edit XML Edit,  Actions/New, Start a program 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

<QueryList>
  <Query Id="0" Path="Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager/Admin">
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager/Admin">*[System[(EventID=112)]] and *[EventData[Data[@Name='Prop_DeviceName'] and (Data='Digilent USB Device')]]</Select>
  </Query>
</QueryList>

image.png

image.png

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent\WaveFormsSDK\samples\dwfcmd\dwfcmd.exe"

connect analogout channel=1 enable=1 sine frequency=40Hz amplitude=0.5V start