Visible screws don't hurt anyone

Anthocyanina

Question

The AD3, as far as i know was the first Digilent device to come with hidden screws under a sticker, and dave from the eevblog has now showed the upcoming ADP2230 and took it apart, which was apparently much harder to do than on previous digilent instruments and now also involved removing a thick sticker which likely will never fit properly again. 

The instruments and other devices you make are bought and used by people who are knowledgable about or learning electronics. The kind of people most likely to want to either see inside what they buy, and/or the most likely to want to repair their own devices should they fail. 

Hiding screws behind stickers is just ridiculous in this kind of product for this demographic. 

The forum has seen lots of people opening their analog discovery 2s for repair, only resorting to claiming warranty if they can't fix it, but it seems always after they've tried lots of different things to fix it. 

Hiding screws behind stickers, hard to peel and hard to stick back, is just a move in the wrong direction. The screws in the AD2 being easily accessible don't make it ugly, and if they did, I think many people would care considerably less about the very minor impact this has on looks compared to the major benefit easily accessible screws provides to the serviceability of the device. 

Many of your devices are used daily to aid in repair efforts of other devices. Please don't make your own devices less repairable. Hiding screws tends to be the first step in making things less repairable and it would suck majorly to see Digilent going the apple route.

I actually see visible screws as a plus. It's like an invitation, "go ahead, take a look inside, you're welcome to explore the innards of your device, you can more easily fix it, enjoy!" And when other providers of test and measurement instruments of the likes of Rohde & Schwarz, Keysight, Tektronix, and more manage to produce instruments that are aesthetically pleasing and still have the screws easily accessible, this tells me it is unlikely the goal of hiding screws behind stickers (which by the way will make the device look much worse after you peel it off and try to stick it back on) is an aesthetic one but likely that you are possibly starting to look into making your products not easily serviceable, and this sucks.

Hopefully you reconsider your choice of hiding screws and future products make them easily accessible again. 

I love the Digilent products I own, and I keep recommending them to people based on my experience with them, but this moving in the wrong direction is making me wonder how much less serviceable your products will continue to become, again, hiding screws is always the first step in making things worse!

Please consider going back to easily accessible screws in your future products. 

3 answers to this question

Thank you @JColvin. Hopefully this suggestion is accepted even if it was presented in the form of random thoughts put together. My comments on this may be the only comments you get on the forum about this, but look elsewhere, particularly when it comes to repairing or taking anything apart, there are few things that are more strongly disliked than screws hidden behind thick stickers that will never look the same once they are removed. I really love Digilent's products, and would love to see you go back to easily accessible screws :)

Hi @Anthocyanina

Thank you for the feedback.
Instructions for out of warranty teardown of ADP2230:
- You could use heat gun to soften the adhesive under the back sticker (0.7mm tick plastic) and peal it off, or drill/cut in the market places to access the screw holes.
- Unscrew and pull out the board from the front with the help of the BNC connectors. The front and back covers are not glued.
- The front cover is attached to the board by two screws.

image.png

image.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png