How to measure the frequency response of a non-textbook filter circuit

fizzbang

Question

I'm trying to characterize the approximate performance of a black-box (potted) DC power filter which includes a common-mode filtering component, presumably it'll be similar to one of these.  Problem is all the instructions for using the Network Analyzer assume the existence of a common ground point to connect Ch1-/Ch2-/W1- to, however in this case there's two locations, the filter input (before the choke) and the filter output (after the choke).  How do you connect Ch1/Ch2/W1 to measure the frequency response of such a circuit?

(I'm ignoring source and load characteristics and other complications for now, I just want to get a general overview of what the filter is doing).

3 answers to this question

Hi @fizzbang

The Analog Discovery 1,2,3 oscilloscope inputs are suitable for such measurements since these are differential.

To measure the entire filter: channel 2 measured relative to 1.

image.png

To measure just the second part influence: channel 2 measured relative to 1.
In this case channel 1 absolute measurement will represent the first part only if the load does not cause W1 to drop.

image.png

Thanks!  Forgot to mention that I'm using the BNC adapter with grabber cables which makes the GND status a bit unclear since there's GND, SGND, and WGND, and Ch1 and Ch2 share the one SGND.  This produced rather a odd plot:

filter_plot_bnc.png.35d2b9daf09a47227f000880ca21f524.png

but then bypassing the BNC adapter produced something fairly similar:

filter_plot_direct.png.654da1bdd81ea1bcc828b31af3589423.png

I'll have to grab a known-good filter to see whether this is operator error or the one I'm testing is the problem, it's of unknown age so I don't know what state the electrolytics are in.