Information seeking licence extension of Genesys 2 board

Dharmendra

Question

Hi, I bought Genesys 2 board way back in 2017 . I am working now on vivado ver. 2017. Due to some technical reason i want to upgrade to vivado 2023.2 .I want to know how to extend the licence of Genesys 2 board.

4 answers to this question

I see that this is your second attempt at getting an answer to your question.

To my knowledge AMD/Xilinx does not sell device specific node-locked licenses nor is there a way to "extend" a license. The only way to get a license for your board is to buy another board with the same K325T device and use the unclaimed voucher that comes with it.

You can try the AMD/Xilinx support to get their opinion if you create an account.

I wish there would be more affordable way (as I've also stuck on old version of Vivado with my 325T board), but it looks like there are only two ways - either buy a new board with K325T part and a voucher, or buy a full license (it will give you access to all parts). Both of those are quite expensive.

Edited by asmi

If it helps, a node locked license from a purchase voucher works with devices having different package. For example the license for a Genesys2 or KC705 K325T in a 900 pin package also works for a different board with a K325T in a 676 pin package, like the NetFPGA-1G-CML board. So, buying another board is likely much cheaper than purchasing a full tool license, which only lasts for one year of updates.

It's not great... but a lot better than any other FPGA vendor will provide.

Of course the cheapest, and possibly best option, is to just use the Vivado tool version that your current license works for. Edited by zygot

On 1/15/2024 at 10:10 AM, zygot said:

So, buying another board is likely much cheaper than purchasing a full tool license, which only lasts for one year of updates.

If you are only after a license for a single chip, then sure, but if there is a chance that you might want to use some other "paid" devices as well (for example K355T have increased number of MGTs than K325T and so might be very appealing for certain designs), then it might be better in the long run to just pay up once and get access to ALL devices, which includes some very interesting US and US+ devices.

On 1/15/2024 at 10:10 AM, zygot said:

but a lot better than any other FPGA vendor will provide.

That's for sure - at least you can still use the devboard you once bought at any time in the future.

Edited by asmi