ADP3450 Probe Compensation Documentation

zorgoban

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi @zorgoban,

We don't have formal guide for doing performing probe compensation as of yet (I'll see if I can get that created before I am out of office for the holiday timeframe), but in general the process would be as follows:

- Connect a BNC probe to the Scope channel you want to compensate it for.
- Connect a BNC cable with some sort of minigrabbers or alligator clips to one of the Wavegen out channels (i.e. not a BNC probe with circuitry to interfere with the signal).
- Connect the positive ends of the two BNC cables and the ground clips of them together.
- Set the attenuation switch on the BNC probe to 10x.
- Open the WaveForms software and open the Scope and Wavegen instruments.
- Set the Scope channel you are compensating for to 10x (available through the Gear options dropdown on the right hand side) and the range to 1 V/div
- Set the Wavegen channel to square wave with some higher amplitude to "force" any over/undershoot to happen and some frequency rate between 1 kHz and 5 kHz. Set your Scope timescale to account for the square wave frequency that you chose.
- Run both the Wavegen and Scope instrument.
- If you see non-square square waves on the Scope, use a screwdriver to adjust the trimmer till you get the square waves to be square. I usually also zoom in on my timebase to get a better view of my signal, sometimes also adjusting the offset to see how clean of a square wave I can get with minimal overshoot.

How "perfect" it needs to be will depend on your application of course, but if you zoom so far in that you start seeing the effect of the rise time of the square wave, you've almost certainly gone too far.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin!

Thanks for the description.

I hope you understood that my real point is that for a device with a price tag greater 1k Euro this essential information should be part of the documentation. I don't understand how that is missing. Even Rigol includes it in the quickstart.

Many Greetings!
Zorgoban