PYNQ Z-1 Board does not boot from SD

cmartema

Question

I am sure you guys have heard this a lot, but I have followed through each thread with similar issues and have not found a solution to the problem. The board was working perfectly before and I recently tried to use it after my soc course and it did not work. I bought a new SD card for it( Sandisk 32GB) and still does not boot. The board only has the red LED on and TX and RX LED do not boot up.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

2 answers to this question

Hi @cmartema,

I apologize for the long delay.

In terms of ruling out easy possibilities since you didn't directly mention it, did you double check your SD card contents to make sure it has an image designed for the Pynq-Z1 (latest image available pynq.io here, http://www.pynq.io/board.html) ? Your jumper settings otherwise look correct. I'm guessing the SD cards are all formatted as FAT32.

If you power off the board and switch the jumper JP4 (next to the USB Host) from SD to QSPI, does the board power up with an out-of-box material with various LEDs flashing? (This of course won't help if you have overwritten the flash memory on the device before).

Is the Pynq Z1 detected by your host OS? For Windows, it should show up in the Device Manger similar to this post. For Linux, you can use dmesg and ideally see information similar to this post here.

Let me know what you learn.

Thanks,
JColvin

Yes, I ended up obtaining another sd card and reimaging it to the latest firmware (v3.0.1). When I switch the jumper JP4 from SD to QSPI, none of the lights end up flashing. I see that the device is detected in coms4. When I try to access the terminal through putty, the device is unresponsive. Is there anything else I can try?

Screenshot (27).png

Screenshot (28).png

Screenshot (29).png