Unable to retrieve video output form PCAM5C Zybo Z7 10 Demo

ds2329

Question

image.png.45573880e85e094ea2913a4c56304ce0.png

When attempting to run the Zybo Z7 10 PCAM 5C demo on our board, the following is outputted to the HDMI screen. We have only found one other post with this issue, with no responses solving this issue. Both the Vitis SW and Vivado HW demos successfully build, however we get the same output regardless of the version of the demo we use. The pin connectors are set to Wall Power and JTAG. The version of  the demo we are using is 2023.1, and the version of Vivado/Vitis we are using is also 2023.1.

2 answers to this question

Hi @ds2329,

We are taking a look into this; I am able to successfully get the 2023.1 release version of the demo to run on my Zybo Z7-10 as is (both with the Vitis release and importing the existing Vivado .xsa into Vitis), but as you indicated (other thread) there are too many users where this demo is not working on their boards.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @ds2329,

I asked some of my co-workers and we were not able to replicate this with the Zybo Z7-10's or -20's we had on our separate desks on the 2022.1 or 2023.1 release of the Pcam 5C project.

Because you are getting some sort of image, this is indicative of one of three main problems.

1. HDMI Output cable or port is faulty. Unlikely as you are getting an image, but you can easily test for this with the Zybo Z7 HDMI demo, https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/zybo-z7/demos/hdmi.

2. The ribbon cable is not properly seated or is damaged. I know the cable should be oriented correctly as you would get an error and no output at all if was plugged in backwards, but I would double check that the cable is secured properly on both ends (lift the plastic tab, insert the cable, push the plastic tab back down) as well checking to see if the cable is creased or if any of the contact pads at the ends of the cable have been worn off.

3. The Pcam 5C is faulty. This is the hardest to eliminate, mostly because it requires having a secondary Pcam 5C & ribbon cable (and second Zybo Z7 board for the sake of testing) to determine this.

Questions that I have for you would be as follows:

- What are the results of questions 1 and 2 from above?
- Has the Pcam 5C been used (successfully) before?
- What revision of the Pcam 5C and the Zybo Z7-10 do you have?

Thanks,
JColvin