Controlling Eclypse Z7 Zmod AWG with WaveForms SDK

dmangione

Question

Hello,

We are trying to interface with the AWG on our Eclypse Z7. We are able to control it manually using the WaveForms GUI, but would like to use the WaveForms SDK for further use. We have followed https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/guides/waveforms-sdk-getting-started, but the libraries included don't seem to support the Eclypse Z7. The only devices mentioned within the code are the Analog Discovery and it's derivatives. We've tried multiple examples given in the WaveForms git, but also get back a "Invalid Device Handle" error. Additionally, we have run the Enumerate.py program to try and get our device ID, but the output only shows:

FTDI Version: 0x30216
Devices: 0

DMGR Version: b'2.11.9'
Devices: 1
 1. b'SN:000000000000' b'' PDID: 0x40820110

DWF Version: b'3.20.1'
Devices: 1
 1. b'SN:000000000000' b''

This doesn't seem to provide us with anything useful.

Is there any documentation for using the SDK with the Eclypse Z7 that would be able to assist us? Digilent appears to have no accessible documentation even though the SDK lists it as a supported board.

Edited by dmangione

5 answers to this question

Hi @dmangione,

I believe that the Eclypse Z7 will always show up with a serial number of all 0's (or at least Eclypse Z7 is listed out in an identical fashion); the output from your Enumerate shows a device is detected.

Have you tried running some of the samples that are built in to WaveForms? I am able to successfully run any of the examples that are available in there.

WaveFormsSDK.png

It looks like the GitHub WaveForms SDK material (separate from the built-in material) does not have the Eclypse Z7 as a supported device: https://github.com/Digilent/WaveForms-SDK-Getting-Started-PY/blob/master/WF_SDK/device.py#L149. I will see about getting this corrected and future proofed as this will inevitably need updated again as Digilent continues to make new products that are compatible with WaveForms.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 10/31/2023 at 5:03 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @dmangione,

I believe that the Eclypse Z7 will always show up with a serial number of all 0's (or at least Eclypse Z7 is listed out in an identical fashion); the output from your Enumerate shows a device is detected.

Have you tried running some of the samples that are built in to WaveForms? I am able to successfully run any of the examples that are available in there.

WaveFormsSDK.png

It looks like the GitHub WaveForms SDK material (separate from the built-in material) does not have the Eclypse Z7 as a supported device: https://github.com/Digilent/WaveForms-SDK-Getting-Started-PY/blob/master/WF_SDK/device.py#L149. I will see about getting this corrected and future proofed as this will inevitably need updated again as Digilent continues to make new products that are compatible with WaveForms.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 11/1/2023 at 6:02 AM, attila said:

Hi @dmangione

See the SDK/ manual and samples/ py/ 

image.png

Hi @JColvin and @attila,

We have tried running some of the samples/py/ scripts included with the WaveFormsSDK. I am successfully able to view our device using the "Device_Enumeration.py" example, but we still fail to run examples that try to utilize the device such as "AnalogOutIn.py".

image.thumb.png.918ec6169a0cac2d2a230ef943387660.png

Any experience on why it might fail to access our device? I have tried manually targeting our device ID (7), but it still fails. If there is any debug things you'd like me to run please let me know. Thanks