Arty Vivado SDK problem starting project

Harm

Question

Hi All,
After successfully running the Arty GPIO example, I'm trying to do the "Getting started with Microblaze" example from the Digilent website.
Everything runs fine, until I get to the point where the HelloWorld project is created in the SDK. I consistently get the error message: "Project cannot be created" "Reason: Internal Error:" "Failed to closesw "/home/<user>/Arty/Arty_GSMB/Arty_GSMB.sdk/helloworld_bsp/system.mss"" "Reason: Cannot close sw design '/home/<user>/Arty/<ProjectDir>/Arty_GSMB.sdk/helloworld_bsp/system.mss'. Design is not opened in the current session."
I'm using Vivado 2016.2 on Ubuntu 14 LTS, but I get the same response on Ubuntu 16 LTS.
I've searched the Internet for this problem, but came up blank, until now.
Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

6 answers to this question

I ran into similar issues with my Arty this weekend. I was "getting started with the MicroBlaze."  I started with Ubuntu 15.something and ended up installing CentOS 7. I received very similar errors regardless of which OS I ran. What ended up fixing the issue was installing the 32-bit compatibility tools for CentOS. I am pretty sure it would fix the same issue in Ubuntu. And I can let you know this weekend, since I am moving my dev environment to a new workstation running Ubuntu. (WIth CentOS and W10 as guests). Note that I was successful with the build, but I haven't regained the strength or motivation to push it on the Arty yet. (It will probably work, and I had to go to work.)

Here are two pages that might be relevant:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/SDK-2014-2-bsd-generation-fails/td-p/479134

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/SDK-Error-When-Creating-BSP-Sources-quot-mb-ar-quot-no-such-file/td-p/572050

If you want to verify that this is the culprit before tinkering, instead of creating the application in the SDK, create a BSP instead. The log messages seemed to be a little more detailed. Be on the lookout for messages regarding libz.so.1 and "mb-ar."

My crude understanding is that 32-bit libs (or compatibility with) are necessary when cross-compiling for the MicroBlaze.

I'm having a similar issue.  Im running a new install under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS which is listed as supported.  I've installed the i386 support packages as suggested.  When trying to create the hello_world project I get exactly the same issue.

Is there anyone who has successfully set up Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Vivado 2016.02 running the Arty board?  The tutorials are for windows only.  If I get this figured out I will be happy to rework a full tutorial but make it for Ubuntu 14.04 so we all can have one working answer.  

If it helps I have attached my error log file for reference.

SDK.log

It is a problem not having the i386 libraries installed by default on Ubuntu.  That step is completely missing from any install documentation (fail).  I'll fix that with a walk through later.  Now the issue is that the ARTY board doesn't show up .... when I go to program the FPGA it says it could not find FPGA device.  Is there some device driver or configuration required for Ubuntu?  I didn't see any mention of that in the documentation either.

OK here's the scoop.  In order to run the SDK we need the i386 libraries.  Use apt-get install to pull the following:

libc6:i386 libstdc++6:i386 ... I'll double check the list but those two for certain.

Then you need to install the diligent and xilinx platform drivers (tricky bit)

go to opt/Xilinx/Vivado/[your-version]/data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers

now do

sudo ./install_digilent.sh

and

sudo ./install_drivers.sh

Check the drivers by using 'ls /etc/udev/rules.d

You should see xx-xilinx-digilent-usb.rules and another one. with xilinx in it.

THAT should get you going.  I'll try to clean this answer up later but it *REALLY REALLY* should be in the install documentation ... hint .... Diligent .... please update :-)  ... lots of linux users here ... we count ... I think!!

Anyhow mine is working now!  ... If you're still stuck I'll work through it with you.  Let me know how its going!!

Hi ttrostel,

Thank you for sharing what you've found! I've let our applications engineers know that there is a need out there to update the appropriate documentation. I know it's been on the list to update so hopefully this will get it pushed higher up in priority.

Thanks,
JColvin

I found an awesome work up on how to install the toolchain at github

Take a look at https://github.com/Architech-Silica/Installing-Vivado-2015.1-Ubuntu-14.04.2-64b  It needs a tad of rework for 2016 but its almost perfect.

If you're going back to the app engineers .... I'd suggest that as a starting point for source materials.  The instructions are almost flawless.

Archived