2x15 Flywire Assembly has Poor Connection.

AbbyL

Question

I am a student employee at Eastern Michigan University tasked with making sure the Analog Discovery 2 is a good fit for an upcoming course in electric vehicles. So far I love it, but I've noticed that the 2x15 flywire assembly does not comfortably plug into the AD2. All the connections seem to work fine, but any bumping at all causes the assembly to fall right out of the AD2. This is problematic because the plan right now was to mount the AD2 on some form of modularized set up for the course's labs. Gravity alone would probably disconnect the wires.

I also have the BNC adapter, and it seems to plug in very securely, so I'm led to believe the issue is with the wires.

I am attaching an image of the wires plugged in as far as they are willing to go. Is this loose connection common amongst the flywire assemblies? If not, would Digilent be willing to send a new assembly, or do we have to order and pay for a new part online?

Screenshot 2023-08-02 135623.png

3 answers to this question

Hi @AbbyL,

To the best of my knowledge, there as been no change to the Analog Discovery 2 case or the flywire assembly. I know with my own Analog Discovery 2, there is a bit of resistance when inserting the cable around the distance you should in your picture, but it should be able to go much farther so that the black housing is flush with the plastic housing on the right angle header within the Analog Discovery 2 housing.

image.png

Since you have the BNC Adapter (which should have identical dimensions to the cable, minus the key nub) is fitting easily in your existing AD2, then I would be more inclined to think that the 2x15 flywire is somehow incorrectly sized and you should get an RMA (or have a new cable assembly sent to you).

If you, or your department, purchased through Digilent, you can send me a private message with the following information:

- Purchase date
- order number
- serial number on the underside of the AD2 (the barcode number)
- preferred email contact

Then I'll be able to get the details to our Sales team who will process the RMA and contact you for any additional information that I don't have access to (such as confirming shipping address).

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi @jps6882,

The Digilent Sales team reached out to me to confirm your query and I agreed for them to send a replacement flywire connector as well as having you send back the misfitting set.

If you don't receive any contact from them by tomorrow, please let me know so I can do any necessary follow-up.

Thanks,
JColvin