Analog Discovery 2 "Device opening failed"

spencer_oe

Question

My AD2 will no longer be recognized in Waveforms. Earlier today, I was testing the output from a pwm controller (5V at 50% duty cycle), using the BNC adaptor with the BNC probes. Everything appeared to connect normally. After confirming the output, removed the probe and closed Waveforms. I returned to make another measurement and now the AD2 will not connect. 

I have tried the usual troubleshooting steps. Swapping out the original USB cable for another USB cable (known to have power and data). I have used multiple USB ports on my computer, including  two different USB dongles/docks. I tried downloading Waveforms on a different computer and connecting. So far no luck with any of these approaches. 

Sometimes the device shows up in the Waveforms device manager. Generally that is when I use the original cable and plug it into my docking station USB port (which is where it was working previously). I have included the error messages as attachments. 

Is there anything else that I should be trying to restore communication with the AD2? I am running out of ideas

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-07-05 131411.png

Screenshot 2023-07-05 132307.png

Screenshot 2023-07-05 134511.png

2 answers to this question

Hi @spencer_oe,

It looks like you've tried nearly everything that I would have recommended (different USB cables, computers/ports, etc). The only other troubleshooting things you didn't explicitly mention would be to use the latest version of the WaveForms software (link to latest beta, this is unlikely to help in your situation) and to use an external power source (not sure if your docking station is powered or not).

Your described application of measuring a 5 V PWM signal should not have been an issue, provided that you did not connect the ground clip to an output since the BNC Adapter is single-ended instead of differential like the Analog Discovery 2's analog inputs (neither are floating).

Thanks,
JColvin