Analog Discovery 2 ft232hq restoration

Yakudza

Question

Hello everyone! 

I found one seriously damaged AD2 and I would like to try fix it. So my problem is missing conponents around ft232hq (someone before me was trying to fix it because original ft232hq has burnt out hole in its surface.) Before I replace ft232hq with new original one (I know it must be programmed) I would like to take some on board measurements and clarify which components are missing (some have evaporated, some have been removed) and what can be potentionally damaged. 

So maybe You guys know exact diagram of ft232hq part? It seems to be typical application for ft232hq (looks like typical from ft232hq datasheet) but there are little differences (TVS diodes close to usb connector etc). 

Thanks! :) 

4 answers to this question

Hi @Yakudza,

I have moved your question to a more appropriate section of the Forum.

Digilent does not share the full diagram setup for the Analog Discovery 2, but if you can provide a picture of what all might be missing we may be able to help troubleshoot specific details, though it depending on what all got damaged (I doubt it is only the FTDI component for instance) it might not be worth it financially to try to replace everything.

In the meantime, here is a Forum thread (that also links to other useful threads) that may help give you some direction/insight into your situation:

Thanks,
JColvin

On 6/27/2023 at 6:13 AM, attila said:

Hi @Yakudza

With such holy damage it may be beyond repair, internal layers could be broken and other ICs burned.

Here you can find further info if you need it:

Hello, Thanks for thread. 

Looks like mine ferrites (FB18, 19 are blown) So I removed their remainings. Rest seems to be complete now. Unfortunatelly after first measurements done (no shortcuts in powerlines) and replacing blown ftdi chip with new one. There is no reaction for plugging USB cable. No device detected, no voltage any where. Seems for soldering issue or damaged power switch. Gonna inveatigate it Later. 

Temporarry, AD2 should run without FB18 and 19?