NetFpga SUME

Leo_W

Question

Hi digilent,

There is one SUME board on my side that cannot be powered on. After plugging in the external power supply, the fan of the external power supply will stop and the output will turn to 0V, so I suspect that it is the grounding of the output that causes the automatic protection of the power supply.

I tried very hard to fix it because it was expensive. Any good suggestions? According to the schematic, there are more than 30 12V electricity consumption, or it may be other problems. My idea is to disassemble 7 small package power chips (IC42, etc.) and 2 large package power chips (IC34 IC42) by elimination.

9a184994adf53a3704021dd0e584d64.png.342caca89e9356305b2f5a21f8f7ac9e.png

Do you have any suggestions? Any suggestion will do, thank you very much!

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, zygot said:

Well, my first question is "What kind of external Power Supply are you using"? If it's a bench supply is the current output being limited? I know is sounds silly but I've got to ask. (been there done that...)

No, I'm using a standard ATX power supply. When I powered on the board, the fan of the power supply stopped.

image.png.1e4787158a02ed2f45ba7cac874ccd8f.png

Troubleshooting a complex, multi-voltage power supply on a board with a sequence controller isn't easy. The older Xilinx boards used a lot of power supply modules that had serial interfaces for setup and debugging. Most boards are simpler. I had a KC705 that decided to prevent FPGA configuration.  The vendor that made the board wanted about the same amount of money just to check out the board as a new one would cost.

You might have some luck with a bench supply that has voltage and current controls and meters, but unless you are a power supply expert, and I'm assuming that you are not, then the odds are not in your favor.

Don't hold me to this, but I've used PC power supplies in the past in lieu of a good lab bench power supply. As I (seem) to recall there has to be a minimal draw on, I want to say the 5V supply, but it could be the 12V supply, or it will shut down. this might be an avenue for inquiry as to what's going on with your board.

2 hours ago, zygot said:

Don't hold me to this, but I've used PC power supplies in the past in lieu of a good lab bench power supply. As I (seem) to recall there has to be a minimal draw on, I want to say the 5V supply, but it could be the 12V supply, or it will shut down. this might be an avenue for inquiry as to what's going on with your board.

Never seen this to be the case with AXT power supplies I used. In my experience, they only shut down from overloads (typically due to a short somewhere).