Can connect to Arty z7 board using Adept2 utilities, but still can't see in Vivado hardware manager

tbradsh

Question

Hello,

I am trying to connect a Arty-z7 board to Vivado 2022.2 in order to make sure I can program it. However, the hardware manager is unable to connect to it. I have scoured the internet for solutions, but all the solutions I have found so far have not helped.

Here is my setup:

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with 3 different versions of the Xilinx software installed on it. I have Adept2 installed and the Adept utilities installed. I have the Arty z7 board plugged into the computer and it powers on fine. I can connect to the board over the UART just fine to watch it boot the default image it came with.

Here is what I know:

Running lsusb does show the device connected:

Bus 001 Device 027: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C/D/H Dual UART/FIFO IC

Running dmesg after plugging in the device shows:

[4595198.587303] usb 1-8.2: new high-speed USB device number 28 using xhci_hcd
[4595198.693068] usb 1-8.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6010, bcdDevice= 7.00
[4595198.693081] usb 1-8.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[4595198.693088] usb 1-8.2: Product: Digilent Adept USB Device
[4595198.693093] usb 1-8.2: Manufacturer: Digilent
[4595198.693097] usb 1-8.2: SerialNumber: 003017B7EB9A
[4595198.697683] ftdi_sio 1-8.2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[4595198.697749] usb 1-8.2: Detected FT2232H
[4595198.697966] usb 1-8.2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[4595198.700758] ftdi_sio 1-8.2:1.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[4595198.700823] usb 1-8.2: Detected FT2232H
[4595198.701037] usb 1-8.2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1
[4595198.767526] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[4595198.767548] ftdi_sio 1-8.2:1.0: device disconnected

If I use the djtgcfg utility I see the following:

tbradsh@tarnished:~$ djtgcfg enum
Found 1 device(s)

Device: ARTY-Z7
    Device Transport Type: 00020001 (USB)
    Product Name:          Digilent Arty Z7
    User Name:             ARTY-Z7
    Serial Number:         003017B7EB9A
tbradsh@tarnished:~$ djtgcfg init -d ARTY-Z7
Initializing scan chain...
Found Device ID: 23727093
Found Device ID: 4ba00477

Found 2 device(s):
    Device 0: ARM_DAP
    Device 1: XC7Z020

So I know that I am able to see the jtag chain through the Adept utilties which rules out the cable being bad, the boards being bad, or me not having the correct drivers.

I also installed the drivers for the cable following this guide: https://docs.xilinx.com/r/en-US/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license/Install-Cable-Drivers

Despite all of this work, I still cannot see the device in Vivado hardware manager. My only other option is to use another machine, but I would like to solve it on this machine as I have specifically set it up for all of my Xilinx work.

Also, to note, when I try to connect through Vivado hardware manager, this is the error I always get:

ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-494] There is no active target available for server at localhost.
 Targets(s) ", jsn-VCK190 FT4232H-822115130030A" may be locked by another hw_server.

For some context on this error, there is a Xilinx Versal vck190 that has been plugged into this computer for a while for a different project. I unplugged it for my debugging of this issue, but this error will continue to appear. Not sure if there is some sort of problem due to this other board.

4 answers to this question

Hi @tbradsh,

I agree that the Arty Z7 board is being detected correctly and would be fully accessible if Vivado was behaving.

I'm not certain if this is the same situation in Linux, but in Windows when I encounter this sort of thing I usually have to kill my instance of Vivado and check to see if the hw_server is still running, and then re-start Vivado. I don't think I've personally seen an instance where an entirely different board is called out as locked though. I wouldn't think that the Versal board would be holding Vivado's JTAG scan capabilities.

So aside from restarting Vivado (or maybe your computer) I'm not certain what else to recommend to get Vivado to acknowledge the Arty Z7 as you have already installed the cable drivers and can find the board through Adept Utilties.

Thanks,
JColvin

Today is your lucky day as I've recently installed Vivado 2022.2 on Ubuntu 22.04 wiht a MATE desktop

My first attempt at connecting hardware to Vivado had the same results as you,

You started out correctly by seeing if your board is enumerated by Linux.

lsusb should show a device like the one you found: Bus 001 Device 027: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C/D/H Dual UART/FIFO IC

lsusb -d 0403:6010 -v will report the particulars of this specific device. You used dmesg and that works too.

Now that we know that the Digilent JTAG cable has been enumerated, we are off to debugging Vivado. I created a test project in Vivado and tried to use Vivado Hardware Manager to connect to the target. Got nothing listed under localhost. So, the first question is "did the cable driver get installed?"

I followed this procedure:

Goto the VIVADO installed directory on your Ubuntu Machine -In this tutorial, we assume installed directory as /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.1 , you can take your’s.

$ cd /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.1/data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers
$ sudo ./install_drivers

If this command reports that you've successfully installed the driver , make sure that you have dialout privileges

$ sudo adduser $USER dialout

Now, unplug the USB cable and get out of Vivado Hardware Manager. Plug the cable back in with the board powered on and retry Vivado Hardware Manager. When you try to automatically connect, you will probably end up with the target being disconnected, but you should at least see something listed under localhost. Right-click on that and connect. You should see the board device and the Program Device options appear. I forgot the exact sequence here as Vivado doesn't show consistent dialog options depending on the context.

I suspect that you need to install the cable drivers, and Vivado Hardware Manager can be tricky to deal with, especially if you use a lot of different boards.

I've been setting up a new PC and the Xilinx tools have been problematic.

I had to download and install Vivado ( all 65 GB of it ) twice because of missing dependencies. Before trying to install Vivado on a new Linux PC make sure to install  libtinfo5 and libncurses5. This is an old issue that's never been addressed. Before installed those I spent about 3 hours installing Vivado only to have it hang creating a list of the installed devices. I had to cancel the install, install the dependencies and do it all over again.

Same, thing for PetaLinux. It completely installed and then threw an error for missing dependencies. Once I installed net-tools, libtool, texinfo, and  gcc-multilib, it installed correctly with no errors.

What a mess and waste of my time.... There's no reason that an install script can't check for dependencies before wasting my time, but, evidently, that asking too much from AMD/Xilinx. At least the introduction give you a heads up on how the relationship is going to proceed.
Edited by zygot

On 5/12/2023 at 5:25 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @tbradsh,

I agree that the Arty Z7 board is being detected correctly and would be fully accessible if Vivado was behaving.

I'm not certain if this is the same situation in Linux, but in Windows when I encounter this sort of thing I usually have to kill my instance of Vivado and check to see if the hw_server is still running, and then re-start Vivado. I don't think I've personally seen an instance where an entirely different board is called out as locked though. I wouldn't think that the Versal board would be holding Vivado's JTAG scan capabilities.

So aside from restarting Vivado (or maybe your computer) I'm not certain what else to recommend to get Vivado to acknowledge the Arty Z7 as you have already installed the cable drivers and can find the board through Adept Utilties.

Thanks,
JColvin

@JColvin A restart of the system helped fix the issue. I think that a instance of Vivado hardware server must have locked the board up. I had tried originally tried to kill all the Vivado instances, but perhaps something was in the background that I could not see. Thank you for your quick response.