Waveform Application logos doesn't appear in Raspberry pi 4 Programs menu

KeldAmpworks

Question

Hi,

I've just acquired a Raspberry Pi 4 for the purposes of using with an Analog Discovery 2. I'm new to raspberry pi so go easy on me if I'm using the wrong terms!

I've been following this tutorial to get started.

https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/guides/getting-started-with-raspberry-pi

I've installed Adept and Waveforms using the terminal (see screenshot) I've also tried installing just by opening the .deb packages. I've tried multiple times by both methods.

However the program icons don't appear in the Pi programs menu under Education or Programming as expected. They aren't in any of the other menus either. Other programs I've installed on the pi have successfully added the icons to the menus.

Waveforms does appear in the list of installed programs though (screenshot attached).

So I think it's there, I just haven't got a clue how to open the application without the menu or how ti add the programs to the menu manually.

Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance.

screenshotinstall.jpg

addprograms.jpg

6 answers to this question

You can start the application from a terminal window. 

The executable is waveforms and should be located somewhere on your path.  Mine is in /usr/bin on Unbuntu.  You can create a Gnome launcher for it if you prefer to use the desktop menus.

image.png.f42ac4e1b2ee6108b7120f6a8f437c37.png

Edited by Yizakat

Thanks a lot for your reply Yizakat. I'm new to Linux so that was really useful for getting me started with some things to Google. 

But unfortunately when I run "which waveforms" I don't get any results. From a bit of googling I understand that this means it's not installed to my path. Obviously as result of this when I then run waveforms& (what's the & about btw?) I get "command not found"

I guess this means the install hasn't worked,  but I'm at a loss for what to try to fix it since there were no errors. I've also tried an older version of the installer too.

Hoping someone has an idea! 

Thanks!

15 hours ago, KeldAmpworks said:

(what's the & about btw?)

The & (ampersand) tells the command shell to execute the command asynchronously, that is, it will return immediately to the command prompt after starting the executable.  Without the &, the shell will be blocked from executing other commands until you end the application.  Essentially 'run command as background task''.

23 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @KeldAmpworks

You have installed the digilent.waveforms_adp3X50 which is an installer for ADP3X50 embedded Linux without WaveForms app.

Download and install digilent.waveforms_#.#.#_armhf.deb for 32bit ARM Linux

Thank you for your help attila. That's fixed the problem. I'm a bit confused because I'd understood that the pi4 was 64bit. I tried the ARM64 linux with no luck before trying the ADP3x50. Anyway thanks for getting me going. Looking forward to getting the AD2 powered test bench going!

9 hours ago, Yizakat said:

The & (ampersand) tells the command shell to execute the command asynchronously, that is, it will return immediately to the command prompt after starting the executable.  Without the &, the shell will be blocked from executing other commands until you end the application.  Essentially 'run command as background task''.

Thanks for taking the time to explain!

Hi @KeldAmpworks

The RPi4 is has 64bit ARM which is compatible with 32bit sw. (Newer cpus are backward compatible, extending earlier capabilities.)
It is available and you can use with this 32 (armhf) and 64bit (arm64) OS as well.
The installed software architecture should be identical to the OS. (It is also possible to install multiple archs.)