Absolute time synchronization to a trigger

Loic VINET

Question

Hi

I would like to know if it is possible to synchronize a trigger with the time of the computer.

my trigger is set with dwf.FDwfDigitalInTriggerSet(hdwf, c_int(0), c_int(0), c_int(1 << channelTrigger), c_int(0))

then after dwf.FDwfDigitalInConfigure(hdwf, c_int(0), c_int(1))

I start the acquisition of the data with dwf.FDwfDigitalInStatus(hdwf, c_int(1), byref(sts))

How can I set a time in nanosecond coming for example in python with time.time_ns() with the time of the trigger?

Ultimately, I would like to plot a signal and have the absolute time in x axis.

11 answers to this question

Hi Attila

Thank you for your answer

I run this:

while cSamples < nSamples:
        dwf.FDwfDigitalInStatus(hdwf, c_int(1), byref(sts))
        dwf.FDwfDigitalInStatusTime(hdwf, byref(psecUtc), byref(ptick), byref(pticksPerSecond))

For the first iteration I had for example:

psecUtc 1679507688
  ptick 253
  pticksPerSecond 1000

I'm looking for at least 10 ns precision, looks like I have ms precision

Is it possible to get that 10 ns precision?

another question, does it give me the time of the first item of the acquisition at the first iteration?

Hi Attila,

Fine

2 questions:

1. Do you have any idea when this new software version should be available?
  2. By new software, can you confirm you are talking also about the library cdll.dwf on windows or cdll.LoadLibrary("libdwf.so") on linux?

This feature is ultimately very important to us 🙂

Hi @Loic VINET,

The new software will be available when Attila (the developer of the WaveForms software) gets the opportunity to dedicate the time to create it (the new hardware design to load onto the FPGA and the corresponding WaveForms software to support/take advantage of the feature). He lives in Europe though, so it will be little while before he gets the opportunity to respond to part 2 of your question.

My personal guess (as opposed to an official answer) as a somebody not involved with the development process for WaveForms would be that the update might be available by the end of next week (presuming that other priorities don't take over Attila's time).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @Loic VINET

For Digital Discovery it returns 1.25ns (DIO/DIN trigger) or 10ns (other trigger sources) resolution absolute time for T0.
The resolution changes when the system frequency is adjusted, 1/(8xFreq) or 1/Freq.
The timer is synchronized with the computer on software connection to the device (FDwfDeviceOpen).