Zedboard is not detected in windows 10 64-bit

eduemon

Dear all,

This is the first time I am working with Zedboard for my research. I got a problem in the very beginning step. I was trying to connect my zedboard with my laptop. My zedboard already has SDCard which I believe the OS has been installed there ( but I do not know how to check it). Then I connected my zedboard with my laptop. LD13 is ON, then. According to zedboard getting started instructions, I just need to wait for about 15 seconds to see LD12 is ON and the OLED is ON as well. However, both of them were still OFF after I wait for minutes. Then, I installed the cypress USB driver, turned the board OFF and ON again, but the result was still the same. I also tried to check the zedboard response through TerraTerm, and I found no response from zedboard. Do you have any idea what is going wrong with my zedboard?

Thank you very much.

Hi @eduemon,

To check what is on the SD card you can simply view its contents on a computer.

The other questions that I have regarding your setup are:

- What revision of the Zedboard do you have?
- How are the 5 MIO jumpers arranged?
- When you attempted to reconfigure the Zedboard, which microUSB port did you connect to? The J17 port labeled PROG should be the one to use.

Otherwise, I would recommend taking a look at this thread where I've gathered some resources for connecting to the Zedboard in case you haven't seen it.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 3/22/2023 at 4:02 AM, JColvin said:

Hi @eduemon,

To check what is on the SD card you can simply view its contents on a computer.

The other questions that I have regarding your setup are:

- When you attempted to reconfigure the Zedboard, which microUSB port did you connect to? The J17 port labeled PROG should be the one to use.

Otherwise, I would recommend taking a look at this thread where I've gathered some resources for connecting to the Zedboard in case you haven't seen it.

Thanks,
JColvin

Rev. D
MIO2 (JP7) - GND
MIO3 (JP8) - GND
MIO4 (JP9) - 3.3V
MIO5 (JP10) - 3.3V
MIO6 (JP11) - GND
I used J14 usb port as mentioned in Getting Started Instructions sheet from Zedboard box. 

I have seen the post that you mention. I think my problem with serial driver is done. It is based on the indication I got from CyUSBUart application. (screenshot attached) But It did not give any response.

image.png.1da48a635645c5476d5f7e35029736a4.png

Best regards,
Edwar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @eduemon,

I wanted to clarify that for the Cypress application for USB-UART communication (not Zynq configuration) that you were correct to use J14 with the UART label.

Okay, you are booting up the Zedboard through the SD card. LD12 will only turn on if the embedded Zynq device is successfully configured, so based your description of the board not responding to a serial terminal nor the DONE LED lighting up, this is what I would end up checking next.

A readily available image that uses the USB UART COM port is the Out of Box image available on the Zedboard Resource Center here: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/zedboard/start#additional_resources. You'll want to put all of the critical files contained in the sd_image folder (the readme.txt is not critical for booting up) onto the root of the SD card that is going to be used in the Zedboard. Be sure that the SD card is formatted as FAT32.

With the SD card inserted into the Zedboard, and the jumpers set correctly as per the readme in the doc folder of the OOB design download (MIO2, 3, and 6 set to ground; MIO4 and 5 set to 3V3; VADJ set to 1.8 V, JP6 and JP2 near the microUSB ports both loaded), and a cable connected to J14 (UART), this should have the power LED (LD13) and then subsequently the done LED (LD12) both turn on as well as the OLED display. If you are connected to the COM port (looks like COM 10 in your case) at 115200 baud, you should see the output of the Linux image booting up.

Thanks,
JColvin

• 11 months later...

Hello JColvin,

I also have issues with connecting the USB to UART with Zedboard rev. D

I installed the CypressDriverInstaller_1

I'm running Windows 10 PRO and Device Manager does not detect Cypress USB to Serial Adapter  or Cypress Serial (Com) (see picture)

Rebooting Windows and re-installing as Admin does not change the outcome.

My Jumpers 5 MIO jumpers arranged as follows (see picture)

MIO2 (JP7) - GND
MIO3 (JP8) - GND
MIO4 (JP9) - 3.3V
MIO5 (JP10) - 3.3V
MIO6 (JP11) - GND

VADJ set to 1.8 V, not sure about JP6 and JP2 near the microUSB ports both loaded), and a cable connected to J14 (UART).

I see power LED (LD13) and then subsequently power LED (LD12) both turn on as well as the OLED display. (see picture)

If I connect the HDMI cable I see two penguins on the screen.

I verified that the SD card contains the

sd_image:
   -- BOOT.BIN – Zynq configuration file that was generated using the 3 files
                 found in the boot_image folder.
   -- devicetree_ramdisk.dtb – Prebuilt device tree
   -- ramdisk8M.image.gz – Prebuilt Linux filesystem
   -- README – readme document that describes how to run the OOB design
   -- zImage – Prebuilt Linux kernel

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Steve

Cypress Device Driver.jpg